UK amps brought to the States

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm going to be buying an Aguilar DB 680 preamp. But the guy lives in the UK and I live in the States. My question is; would the amp work fine here? Dont the use a different amount of volts or something? I'm just concerned if the amp will work prefectly fine here in the states. Any help on this would be much appreciated... also I kinda need to know ASAP before i buy the amp :p
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    why not contact Aguilar and ask them? I've always found them quick at getting back to me.
  3. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    good idea. Can I find how to reach them by going to their website?
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Everything bass related costs significantly more in the UK than in the USA, to the point that I have imported almost all my gear from the US because of the huge cost savings (and wider choice). I cannot for the life of me think why you'd want to buy any US made bass gear, like Aguilar, from the UK when you're in the country of origin where the prices are far lower.

One bassist I know in the US bought a power amp from eBay UK because it was so cheap. Turned out to be a scam and he lost his money. Beware!

Hopefully there's a good reason you're considering this, which I haven't thought of!

The voltage change should be pretty easy - either a switch on the back or moving some connectors on the transformer. I'd be surprised if such pro level gear needed the power supply swapping.

5. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I just talked to Aguilar. They said I would have to modify it. It would cost approx $65. I won't get a warrenty on it and I'm kinda unsure about sending money overseas. I think I'll just spend the extra bucks and buy a brand new one and have the 10 year warrenty. Seems to be the safest route.