UK cabinet builders - what is 'truck bed liner' called over here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mottlefeeder, Jul 14, 2005.

1. I've seen various US and other posts about using this hi-build coating as an alternative to carpet or tolex to cover speaker cabs, but my local autofactor has never heard of it.

Any trade names and/or stockists would be useful.

2. The big brand name here in the colonies is "Rhinoliner". Since it came out there have been a lot of imitators. You can even buy something that claims to be the same in Walmart, except that the only resemblance that it has to the original is the black color.
  3. Yeah, Rhinoliner. The walmart version I found is called Plasti-kote. It came in either a quart of "roll-on" bedliner or aerosol cans. I bought the spray and it works pretty good for me. You just have to spray many layers.

Did a quick Google...
  4. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Plasti-kote is one we have in the uk - even B&Q does it...
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I use DuraTex (available from Acry-Tech at 1-800-771-6001). This water-base urethane acrylic goes on with a standard paint roller, drying quickly with a lightly textured finish that’s very durable and easily recoated if you do ding it up. It's what's used by the pros. The only disadvantage is that is comes in gallons only ($42 plus shipping) and most cabs will take well less than a quart. Shipping from Florida to the UK might be cost prohibitive.
  6. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Lorry-Bed Liner? ;)
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I just bought the Herculiner kit - gonna do my truck this weekend - mostly for rust, but the dogs will like it better too. I think that would be really cool to have a cab covered in that stuff.
  8. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I think it would be hard to see out the windows.
  9. That made me laugh :D
  10. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    me too
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    hehe - Actually a friend of mine's truck was rusting so bad that he covered the entire truck with the stuff (sans windows, hehe). I think he used 2 gallons and an extra quart. It looks pretty cool and is very...umm...original?
  12. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I've got an EA cabinet that's covered with the Rhino Liner stuff and it's cool. That stuff is incredibly tough. One of my customers runs a monster truck and they had a tool box that was getting pretty beat up from being loaded and unloaded at each event. He took off the Snap-On logos and had the thing covered in that stuff, put the logos back on and it looks great, it's been holding up nice too. I was thinking about stripping some old PA cabinets I've got and having them done, what does a Rhino Liner place charge for doing something that's wood instead of metal, I wonder if the prep is any different???
  13. The 'plasti-kote' family of products seem to be mainly aimed at stopping stone chips, rather than being abrasion resistant, but your link to paco-systems looks like the way to go. Thanks for taking the trouble.
  14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Would that be called a W. Va. paint job?
  15. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Avatar cabs have an option for a Line-X coating. The stuff is great. I have it on my SB 112 neo. I think that product has to be professionally applied though. It's pretty well indestructible.
    If you have shops that do spray in bed liners in the UK call them and ask what they use,
  16. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Is this material considerably heavier than tolex or carpet?
  17. synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004

or Line X. It costs about 75 quid & up to do Line X for a small speaker box.
  18. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    I don't think so. It may add a pound or so over Tolex, nothing significant.
  19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Note the age of the thread. Then note the person who disinterred it has only made two posts here, both about truck bedliner! :p

(Not judging, just amused)

Edit: Well how about that--her post has been deleted!