UK Charts lack credability

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Howard K, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
  2. People actually look at the charts?

;) :p :D
  3. I agree, the charts are crummy. But singles are bought by little kids arent they?

4. "There's so much great music around and people are listening to it, but the charts are often full of crap.

"The Top 40 hasn't got credibility."

next they're gonna tell us Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny don't exist:p

funny how this Chris Cowey guy says all this, yet still puts the worst manufactured, record label hyped **** on his show- need I mention "Maddonnas"?
  5. The album chart actually is a bigger measure of financial success of a band. The singles charts is just a way of hyping a band.

Strangely enough, any singles I buy rarley get high in the charts!
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Awe c'mon, give the guy a break, he's obvioulsy fairly alternative, he has long hair and a beard!

Actually, I doubt he has any choice what goes on the show.
    I though the idea of the charts being made up of everything that sold well that week, regardless of how contemporarey it is or what medium it was sold on was interesting.
  7. Ha! Ha! - what a laugh! What else do they expect? I suppose the fact that TOTP is still running after all these years - is in itself, pretty amazing! God - I remember watching it in the sixties and seventies as a kid growing up in the UK - I just used to watch it to get a glimpse of "Pan's People" (remember them????) and later, "Legs & Co" with the attention of most (male) viewers on the crotches of the dancers, who the hell even remembers what the music was like! :)

I notice that the Beeb still peddle that old war-horse "John Peel" on their World Service programmes - he's sort of refreshing in a way - in that his programming goes against the type of thing mentioned in the original Beeb TOTP article ( see above ) - however the venerable JP has been doing the same old stuff for the past thirty-five years, with that same dull, dry, boring delivery, and his choice of music is still the same awful stuff as it was back in the seventies! His style and presentation was good in its day, but has become a caricature of its original self - but on the other hand, what's the alternative? "The UK Top-20 Chart" programme ? - somehow, I think not...

Which reminds me - here's an interesting link if you want to see how it's done nowadays... (as FZ said in "I'm The Slime"...)

- Wil