Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK Drug trial - not good!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I heard about this one the radio, then when I heard that it was an American company, I understood. :bag:

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I thought it was a German company? Anyway it's pretty terrible, two guys have had massive organ failure and could die. If they do make it through, they'll be in hospital for up to a year!
    Sounds like that ward would have been a pretty scary place to be when all the guys started vomiting and blacking out, and especially when their heads swelled up and their legs turned purple! It's like a movie.......

3. I would imagine that a drug for arthritis and leukemia could have some serious neurotoxic properties. This is nasty.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I can't even joke about this. I've done some trials for some minor stuff and got paid. NEVER AGAIN!!!
    The drug company deserves whatever Law suits they get. I just hope everyone lives to collect. MAN!!!!

5. To be fair/ play devils advocate... I don't think that the drug companies were planning on having a half dozen critically ill patients on their hands within minutes of injection. Sure sucks for the people, but according to the article, they followed all the proper procedures laid down by law. That being said, I'm sure they're going to get hit with hundreds of millions in lawsuits.

Hopefully, they figure out what went wrong, and can actually create a helpful anti-lukemia or arthritis drug out of this fiasco.

ps/edit: my avatar is gone! ohnoes! must... reup...

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    A german company developed the drug and an American company is running the trial in the UK.

7. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I don't think the company has any obligation to compensate the victims - they were being paid to test this drug to see if it had any side effects; unluckily for them, it did. The entire premise of their contract, and the reason behind the relatively high pay given to those engaged in medical tests is because of the danger involved.

They will have signed a waiver allowing the testing to take place, and apparently all the proper procedures had been followed.

I don't think they have a case, at least under UK law. Then again, I'm no lawyer.

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    The forms they sign are (apparently) similar to a consent form for standard medical treatment. If there has been any lack of due care on anyone's part then they have a case.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In an interview, one of the guinea pigs was saying that a rep for the company was reading the consent form over his shoulder, and kept explaining even the simplest terms to him and kept telling him to "hurry up and sign it!". He said he did that about 4 times, and that sent up a red flag, so he opted out. He that the way the reps were acting seemed fishy (not the term he used) to him.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    That is why the guinea pigs are paid good money, to be just that. Side-effects are possible, that is why this kind of tests are done, and anyone participating in such a clinical trial should be aware of that.

I understand a general medicin research takes about 10 years to finish a product, from first synthesis through the chain of testing. A drug tested on humans will have gone through years of test tube-, tissue- and animal testing, but there's always the chance something in the drug causes a freak reaction only in a human body.

Now, if someone along the chain has made a mistake or covered one, then it is another case. I assume all the records are going to be extensively looked into by various expers in the field as we speak - however I assume every step has been done as should, as in laboratory industry the only selling point is being able to make everything 100% the correct way. No-one's going to order clinical research from a company that's known for following procedures only when they feel like - or killing it's test subjects.

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Hmmm...

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article351751.ece

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My old roommate paid his way through college by being a drug-testing guinea pig in Austin.

bc

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't know about England, but here you can't sign your rights away. The examples I'm thinking of are Gun Ranges, and Martial Arts studios. You sign a waiver, but it's more a deterrent. They aren't worth the paper they are written on to a good lawyer.
    When I instruct Martial Arts, I have them sign a waiver, but I also carry $2 million in insurance or I won't get on the mat.

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  16. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    clinically testing a drug always has a risk, its a gamble

that being said, i hope these people come out alright, this is a terrible thing to happen

i'm really curious to find out what exactly the reaction was (that's my pharmacy side taking over)

-jimbo

17. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Lawsuits in the UK, and for that matter anywhere other than the US are way less common. These people were paid to try this drug, and the drugs had side effects. Now the company knows that, and will discontinue it. The people can't sue, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Though if the company lied about animal testing - that's a way different story.

18. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I know we're lawsuit happy here. Even when I'm not instructing I have a healthy liability policy. In this case I think it's too bad. Side effects ok, but this is a little extreme. Oh well.