Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK Jazz Fans - a 'must-record' - "Jazz on 3", This Friday!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - this coming Friday, the Jazz on 3 programme on BBC radio 3 is 90 minutes of the Barbican concert with :

Herbie Hancock
    Wayne Shorter
    Dave Holland &
    Brian Blade

Should be a good one to record - I think these things are available to download after the event, on the BBC's website as well.

So - "foreign" TB'ers can also hear it! :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/jazz_promo.shtml

2. Saw it live - and it rocked! It was a bit off the wall in places - but Holland and Blade were an awesome combination - Blade is for my money the best pure 'jazz' player - Dennis Chambers et al are great - but Blade is just such a symphonic drummer, playing the most exquisite colours around every part of the song - Holland was as solid as ever and his tone was just wonderful.

I'm seeing Patitucci tonight with Chick's electric thing and Staley tmorrow - basses high this week!

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    it was great! radio three is great for jazz at the moment - live Wayne Shorter 4tet stuff with an orchestra blew me away a few weekes ago, and Dave Holland is on tonight, as well as EST

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Bruce, thank you for this tremendous resource. I've burned the H-S-H-B date, Michael Brecker's 15-piece and Joe Lovano/Hank Jones so far.

I've listened to the HSHB piece repeatedly. It's deep, deep stuff.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I listened to that gig and it sounded great, but I'll probably miss at least some of tonight's, as I will be at my local Jazz club - it's always more fun being a few feet away anyway! ;)

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    That Lovano/Hank Jones set is incredible. How old is Hank? I recorded it from the radio and have been listening to it repeatedly. Amazing...