1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UK Jazzwise Summer School

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by RIKODRIKO, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well it also depends on how much practice time you put in on a weekly basis!! ;)

I've only had a DB for less than a year and can do much more on my EUB or BG than DB!! :p

Yes - last year I took EUB and BG plus amp and it was worth it - I'm debating taking my DB - as the stage area can get very busy and fraught ...

So on one evening I counted about a dozen DBs lying on their sides in front of the stage in the Jazz club....

Great potential for destruction!! ;)

2. RIKODRIKO

RIKODRIKO

Mar 1, 2005
    Brighton UK.
    You guys have been super great with all your info and past experience. Thanks very much.

I would prefer to take my DB with, as playing on the NS is super easy when you compare, and i want to develop solid technique with the DB, but i also dont want some drunk fool to fall on it and reduce it to smithereens. I might take both i reckon. Ive got the space, so i can chose.

This is all dependant on whether i go or not.

But thanks anyways...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yes that's the same for me - so I might use DB in the day and EUB in the Jazz club....?

Still not sure...

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    dude, this is a jazz course, not a freshers ball! you'll find everyone there is respectful, courtious and generally cool.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Agreed - but some of them can be old and clumsy!! :D

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Chicken! ;) I'll be playing steam bass as long as my fingers permit, bad intonation n' all!

7. I'm interested in this too, I was thinking of the Aebersold till I saw the price difference. I've only been on the DB for a year and e-mailed Glamorgan as they state on the web that beginers need a certain level of proficiency. The reply e-mail just said there's a questionaire to fill in.

Those of you who have been. What do you consider the minimum standard to be?

Ta.

8. nickbass

nickbass

Apr 29, 2005
    Northants, UK
    Hello everyone, Nick Weldon (UK jazz pianist and keen double bassist!) writing with some thoughts on summer schools. Glamorgan is great...I've taught on it myself occasionally and also, as a student, along with Simon Purcell and Clark Tracey, attended it's precursor and ancestor Barry Summer School, where a lot of the "free' heritage comes from. The course was run then in two separate halves, one for free playing and one for straightahead. I remember among our tutors were John Taylor Gordon Beck Stan Sulzmann and Trevor Tomkins. Ken Baldock and Ron Mathewson as bass tutors. Great days! Speaking of Trevor, are any of you aware of the summer courses that I run with Trevor and the great UK bassist Jeff Clyne, along with Alan Barnes Steve Waterman Lee Gibson et al? These used to be the Wavendon courses, and have produced some of the finest pros in the country over the years. We're all experienced working pros with a lot of teaching experience (professors at the Royal Academy, Guildhall and Trinity etc) and Jeff has an unbelievable playing pedigree (from Stan Tracey to Ornette Coleman!) The courses are happening in August at Silsoe in Bedfordshire and Guildford in Surrey. Hope this is useful to you, and send me a PM, anyone, if you want more info.

9. Bruce Lindfield

They always have a beginner's class - I've met one person who only started playing bass very recently although she did have a reasonable knowledge of Jazz as a pianist...

I think they're not really looking for you to be technically great - but prior knoweldge of how Jazz works is very important for a bass player - e.g. "keeping the form" is a No 1 job for a Jazz bass player.

I would recommend looking at a book like Ed Friedland's "Jazz Bass" - which lays out the basics that you need to know for getting started. :)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Simon Purcell runs the Glamorgan course now!!

Stan Sulzmann still teaches - I had a great week with him a couple of years ago - although it's quite daunting when he looks at you and says things like - now play like a rhythm section I'd really want to solo with!! ;)

I've been told about previous incarnations where it was all "under canvas" - nowadays the accommodation is a bit more comfortable!! ;)

11. RIKODRIKO

RIKODRIKO

Mar 1, 2005
    Brighton UK.
    Right... I am booked on the course, so ill see Mr Lindfield and Olliebrice there... although ill be in the beginners group most probably. I have a few more questions.. how is it structured? I know ill be put into a small group, but then what? do we just jam until something nice comes out, or would we be covering standards? are we expected to know some standards? Are they all just group lessons on general jazz stuff? or is there a more personal lesson time specific to bass at some parts during the week? What would be a typical day? Would we have to perform at the end? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Bruce - if you wanna hook up for a beer sometime in brighton, would be a cool thing for me just so i know someone there.. PM me and let me know. Cheers Richard.

12. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    no you won't. I went last year, but I'm not going this year for the reasons I mentioned above.

re structure, you're in a group of rhythm section (probably with guitar and piano) and several horns, with a tutor. The tutor will bring material, which is likely to be a mixture of standards and more modern stuff. The groups perform in the evenings to the rest of the course, so you'll probably perform twice, the evenings also feature performances from the tutors (highlight of the course for me) and the assistant tutors(mostly music students at the big music colleges).
    In addition theres lots of jamming, a couple hours with options (ie a free improv workshop, latin percussion, bigband, etc etc) and one instrument get together with a tutor who plays your instrument.

hope that helps.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry - missed this as I was away on holiday!!

You'll see me and Howard K definitely!!

I have usually got to play 3 times at the nightly Jazz Club - depends on how confident/enthusiastic your group turns out to be - as Olie has mentioned this can be variable - I've had good groups and bad groups ...:meh:

As Olie said - tutors direct things towards a performance...but you can join jam sessions in the evenings as well - and it's possible to get your own stuff together with other people and get on "the bill"....

I've done this at least once in the week over the last few years and plan to again with people I play with around Brighton! :)

I recommend to anybody who is intrested in playing Jazz to go along to see/hear as much live Jazz as possible and Brighton Jazz club gets some great players !!

Maybe we could meet up there some time - it's every Friday night usually in Ship Street. Although I must admit somewhat guiltily, that this week I am missing it for "UK Funk All-Stars" at the Corn Exchange :

http://www.brightonfestival.org/index.asp?id=1934

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well despite what I said in this thread...:p

I am now going for the whole 2 weeks!!

So - they phoned me up and said they were short of bass players in the 2nd week and if they offered me a substantial discount, would I consider coming 2nd week as well?

I thought about it and juggled a few commitments and now I'm doing 2 weeks for just over £500, including all accommodation etc. - not bad! :)

15. RIKODRIKO

RIKODRIKO

Mar 1, 2005
    Brighton UK.
    hehe... dont think you are special, they called me a few weeks back and asked me too, and I am crap! Unfortunately i had to decline as it conflicts with my day job and holiday days are scarce. Shame as i would have dug a second week.

I might be heading down to the brighton jazz club thingee at the sussex art centre this friday Bruce... would be cool to meet if you are going as well.

Lemme know.

cheers

16. Bruce Lindfield

Yes it looks good - some good players - Thad Kelly is a very good bassist, although recently he seems to be playing BG rather than DB.

I shall be there !!

Hope to see you...

17. allthumbs

allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    Although what passes for summer here in the UK is rapidly fading (heatwaves notwithstanding) and most summer schools will have been and gone by the time anyone reads this, I thought I'd throw in my 2c.

Yes, the Jazzwise course is on the expensive side. I did it two years ago and including hotel bills, food, beer etc it cost me the thick end of £800. I think it was worth it though as the tuition was excellent and if my math is correct, £800 works out at £15 a week over a year which doesn't seem a huge sum of money to invest in your playing, most people would spend that on a CD without even thinking about it.

I'm still referring back to the notes I took and trying to inwardly digest everything. Plus you get a couple of hours each day with players of the calibre of Dave Jones, Bob Sinicrope and John Goldsby (I wonder how much he charges for a lesson, assuming he's got the time to teach you anyway...). So I don't think you can just take a monetary aproach to these things. Of course £800 is still £800 so it's not something many players would make an annual event, though I'm hoping to go back when my overdraft allows.

I've also enjoyed the jazz course at Dartington International Summer School where all the players are put together in one (very) big band to work on standard/latin tunes and more modern material. One of the sessions is led by the composer and pianist Keith Tippett, renowned for his "free" playing, so that's pretty interesting especially if you haven't done anything like it before.

My brother has been to Glamorgan and speaks very highly of it, so maybe I'll give that a try next year.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Just got back from two weeks at Glamorgan - lots of fun and great music - although I had few disasters.....;)

So - first week was very hot and my amp blew up !

On the Friday I was carrying my Double Bass and tripped over a step - skinning my knees and worse - damaging my DB - it hit the ground hard and the fingerboard became detached - easy repair maybe - but meant I had to play EUB second week!

Second week I picked up some kind of Flu/Bug and missed a few days..

But it was still great fun and some great music ..

First week was spent with Steve Watts - great UK DB player who has played with everybody and was on the sound track to the film "MirrorMask" released on DVD recently!

Highlight was playing an original composition by Iain Ballamy.

Apart from that I spent a lot of time doing "Free Jazz" which was great fun and I got to play with Chris Batchelor, Liam Noble and Julian Nicholas amongts others - but missed the live performance in the "Jazz Club" due to illness!

Oh well - next Year!! :)