Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK MUSIC COLLEGE AUDITIONS

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by littlekatie, Sep 30, 2005.

1. littlekatie

littlekatie

Jul 14, 2004
    London, UK
    anyone else being a lunatic this year?

i have applied to GSMD, TCM and RCM, and would like to know if there is anyone else out there that is also going for it! (not so i can eliminate competition ;) just so i know there are people in the same boat as me.... :bag:

anyway, people, where are you applying and what are you playing?!

:help: :help: :help: little katie xxx :crying: :help: :help: :help:

2. littlekatie

littlekatie

Jul 14, 2004
    London, UK
    well so far i seem to be the only lunatic...which i guess is kinda good cos less competition, but kinda not in that no-one else is doing it!!!!!!!

ill take a different angle on this - has anyone PREVIOUSLY auditioned, say last year or year before, for UK music colleges and could tell me what to expect?!

...please?

:help:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I should imagine that anybody who is - is too busy practicing, studying etc. to be posting on website like this!! ;)

4. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    A good friend of mine auditioned for a bass MA to these colleges, and was accepted to the RCM. As for undergraduate, I couldn't say, sorry. It seems that DBassists that hang around here are mostly American, so I guess that's why there's so much tumbleweed flying around this thread.

If you like I can PM you my friends email, just let me know, but the audition procedure isn't anything different from anywhere else, and all the information should be available from the websites of the colleges, as you probably know already.

Good luck!

5. littlekatie

littlekatie

Jul 14, 2004
    London, UK
    ah, see but unfortunately for those of us who have a mega commute to college every day, I dont have a bass at home - it boards at the college and comes home to its mummy on the weekends. not ideal. hence i feel i should be doing something bassy, hence posting panic articles on here!!!

ive emailed about consultation lessons and the guy randomly offered me a day playing with the RCM sinfonietta!which cant be bad, i spose... it does pay to be friendly with the head of strings!!

6. KDC

KDC

Oct 30, 2005
    You are probably in the midst of the auditions right now - but I would get in touch with the teachers that you want to study with about questions - Corin Long at TCM; Colin Parish (sp?) or Tom Martin or Kevin Rundell at GSMD; Neil Tarlton at RCM.
    If you can have a lesson beforehand it is always wise - that way you can check whether they will be right for you as well as them checking if you are right for them
    Good Luck!!

7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm going to be, but not till next year, and for the jazz courses. Not sure whether to try for the post-grad or undergrad course though.

Anyone on here done either at Guildhall, Trinity or Royal Academy? I'd really like to ask you a few questions if you have.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Good luck Olie...

You know that Simon Purcell, who is one of the two people who run the Glamorgan SummerSchool - teaches on the Guildhall Jazz course?

I think this is recognised as the best Jazz course....?

9. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I think Guildhall, Trinity and RA are all pretty much seen as being equally good. They certainly have more or less the same tutors. Steve Watts and Jeff Clyne seem to be the bass tutors at all 3.

>Good luck Olie...

thanks!

10. Bruce Lindfield

As you say there's probably not much in it - I was just suggesting that Simon Purcell would be a good person to talk to...?