Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK online string dealers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 28, 2002.

1. hi all, I'm looking for an online store situated in the UK that has big-name strings instock, any ideas?

I'm looking for D'Addiaro's (sp), so a shop that has them, would be great! ;)

Also, I don't have £45 to spend on a 4-string pack! :p :rolleyes: :(

Thanks for feedback :D

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why does it have to be situated in the UK - I get all my strings from US suppliers and they are half the price of UK ones I've tried, even including the Postage and Packing !! :eek:

I get my D'Addarios from :

www.sheetmusicplus.com

Go the the "Musician's Store" - typically I pay £20 for a 5-string set, including P&P - which costs me £45 in the UK .

They are very reliable and I usually get the strings within 5 -7 days.

3. Bruce Lindfield

I just had a quick look and they have 44 different sets - just of D'Addario 4-string bass strings - and all at well under $20 !!!

Even allowing for $5 P&P it comes to well below £20 for the most expensive strings you can buy!

4. You could also try www.stringsdirect.co.uk
    Very helpful. Very quick turnaround of orders. They can order up just about anything that you don't see on the website...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well - they don't seem to have Slowounds, which is what I buy - but the most important point is the price!!! They are charging £34.95 + P&P of £5 for a set that on sheetmusicplus costs $20.

Sheetmusicplus is about half the price!!

6. Slowounds is what I want!

Bruce, I ordered a set of strings from juststrings.com, and it cost me 50 bucks including p&p tax, import tax etc.

I'll look into those sites tho, thanks guys! :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can't speak for any other string prices, but I ordered a set of TI Jazz Flats from stringsdirect.co.uk, and it was £26.95, and there was no extra P+P costs. On sheetmusicplus.com the same strings are $31.19 - I don't know how much the shipping would be though, but I'd imagine with shipping included, the stringsdirect would be marginally cheaper for these strings.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Normal Air Mail shipping is $4.39 for a set of strings - so we're talking $35.51.

According to my online currency converter this comes out at £22.82 today. Slightly cheaper at SMP!

But the original post was about D'Addarios and these are much cheaper on sheetmusicplus as they operate a 60% discount!! :)

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    One thing to remember when getting things in from the US is that anything with a value of £18 or more will be subjected to import duty! So beware!

Interesting site Bruce - it might giveme the opportunity to try some brands I haven't tried before!

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well I've been doing it for several years and SheetMusicPlus always put a customs sticker on the package, saying it's worth less than $30 so they never get opened up at customs!

The only time I have paid customs duty was on a 3CD boxed set, which I ordered from Amazon.co.uk - I didn't realise it was from a subsidiary, as I just did a search. In the end it would have been cheaper in the shops over here!!

12. I got whupped trying to get a set of strings from www.juststrings.com. Hefty delivery and blimmin' import duty. Not too cool. That's why I'm going Stringsdirect. IMHO, YMMV etc. I've found them to be really helpful folks and speedy on delivery. It's also quite nice to support local business people as well, eh? Keep a few Essex boys in beer? :)

Guess not. Capitalism and globalism at its best, eh folks? :p :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well I only use D'Addarios now and they're made in the US anyway - so I don't see why I should pay double price just to keep people in jobs in Essex.
    I must have bought a dozen Slowound sets or more and only paid about £20 each time from sheetmusicplus - except the first (and last) time, when I bought them from an English retailer and paid £45!!

If there was a UK company that actualy made strings of a comparable high quality, then I would be prepared to pay more to support them and keep them going, but we have enough retailing in our economy already thank you!! ;)

14. Hey Bruce, Rotosound make pretty good strings, ive played a good set - cost my friend £20 , but I know they can be more expensive!

Still.. D'Addario slowounds for me ;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

I used to buy Rotosounds in the 80s as there was very little choice - no internet etc. - but they used to "go off" very quickly and I found they were either too bright - like piano strings - or dead, gone the next day! :(

I noticed a huge leap in quality of sound and feel with D'Addarios; plus they last a lot longer in a usable state.

16. I got a month out of my slowound D, it snapped, then the A... then the E... And I use the G (really liked it!) now, as I'm using a mixed set of strings, and I just snapped another E GRRR !!!

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Goodness, how violently are you playing? I've never snapped a bass string! You must whack those suckers a treat

18. my total: about 15.

8 of those, are e's. :eek:

Ive softened my playing a lot, and sanded my bridge, and lightend my pick.. *shrug*

19. Bruce Lindfield

I've never broken a bass string in 25 years of playing!! But have played cheap guitars where strings snapped regularly - but in each case it was "rough" or sharp bridge which was cutting through the strings.

I think "moulded" bridges on cheap basses can go through strings, but it is quite rare - I would get a bass tech to look at the bridge/nut and replace either if necessary - it's got to be cheaper than constantly replacing strings.

I usually get at least 6 months use out of a set of Slowounds and I have given sets to other bass players after I have taken them off and they have been happy with them!

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    In roughly 14 years of playing, I've only broken 2 strings! Both were E strings, on different basses 1 week apart! Turns out there was nothing wrong with the basses!

I now will never buy another set of Elites!

I'm actually a fan of Rotosounds - although I apppreciate not everyone is. Maybe I'm lucky in that I've never had any problems with them!

Although, I will now maybe try some D'Addarios (can't get them locally) on the bass. Ironically, it's mostly D'Addario's that I use on my g**tars!