Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK people: Does getting a parking ticket result in points on your licence?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Situation: Me parking my car in a place I'm not allowed to, with me not reading signs properly to check if I was - "Parking in a restricted street during prescribed hours"

Result: I got my first parking ticket today. :(

Thing is, while I can afford to pay the fine, I'm still a new driver (passed in May) and I'm still in the "probationary period." That means that if I get 6 points, my licence is revoked, instead of a mature drivers 12 (I think).

Will that parking ticket put points on my licence? If so, how many? And will they get removed after so many years, like they seem to do in the US?

And is there anything else I should know about this situation?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't panic - you don't get points for getting a straight forward parking ticket.

My wife managed to get a couple a few years ago (in my car I should add!)

I got my first (in 13 years of driving) between Christmas and New Year (the meter had run out by 2 minutes - I checked the time the ticket was issued, GRRRRRRR)

All you have to do is pay the fine - the good people in Glasgow City Council half the cost if you pay within 14 days, how kind.

Don't panic - and learn to read the signs!!!;)

3. No, drunk in charge and speeding are the lowest offenses that get you points on your license.

I'm not sure if points get removed after a set time or not - I don't think they do.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That would suck if you got points on your license for parking tickets in the states. Living in SF, I got about 10 a year. I think I'd have 400 points on my record right now.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Oh yeah, the points thing. I seem to remember reading in the literature that comes with your Driver's license that the point only stay on your license for a set number of years - it's either 3 years or 5 years (can't remember which)

Don't know for sure - I've had my license for 14 years now and it's been squeaky clean, even since I got my bike license!

Sadly though, I have to surrender it for 1 year due to a recent seizure that I had - at least it'll stay clean for another year!:D

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    ONLY.....if you run the parasite that ticketed you over......

7. You can get the points removed after a few years if you send your license to the DVLA and pay them for a new one, I think.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I shouldn't worry about parking, as you've probably also got about 5-6 speeding tickets from cameras you passed doing 38 in a 30 zone - but the bureaucracy hasn't caught up with you yet!! ;)

9. Many, many cameras don't even have film in anymore because it was costing the police too much to process all the speeding offenses.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Don't give the game away - I was trying to wind him up!! ;)

Seriously though - there's bound to be one with film in, just when you do break the limit! :rolleyes:

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    A useful website in the UK for UK drivers is:-

www.abd.org.uk

If you go into the 'Speed' section, there is a database that gives you the location of every speed camera inn Britain!

12. Bruce Lindfield

But it doesn't tell you whether they have film in and it does complain vociferously about how much money is being squeezed out of motorists unnecessarily, by this tactic!! :(

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I noticed that it also is an out of date list!

The reason it doesn't tell you if there is film in it or not is so that you will simply slow down when you approach it. This allegedly achieves the required result - people going slower at an accident blackspot (if that's the real reason they are put where they are and not to gather as much money as possible!)

Strathclyde police have a listing of all of the Gatso that they have on their website in an attamept to slow people donw at the location covered, I believe that many other forces around the UK do the same:)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah but my point is that there must be film in a lot of them, as so many people complain about getting caught and sites like this one, say that speed cameras are just a money-making tactic. If there was no film in them - they could hardly make money! :rolleyes:

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Once again Bruce, I find myself agreeing with you!:)

16. I know for a fact there's no film in ANY of the cameras in Weston-Super-Mare :D

The thing is, when I'm driving locally (within 25 miles of my house) I know where every speed camera is anyway. I also know where the police like to lay speed traps so I slow down for those few yards and then carry on as normal. I'm sure many other people must do the same.

17. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    The new geneartion of camera's doesn't take film. It just downloads the photo automatically via an internet link.

Don't get complacent.....

Andy:eek:

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Here's another thought! I've heard on many occasions that the camera will flash twice if you've actually been caught - ie it takes two pictures a known time apart. This gives a double check on the speed you are doing - they measure your vehicel against the lines in the road to double check the sensors reading of your speed.

Does anyone know if this is true???:confused:

19. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I'd heard the same thing about the double flash (could be the same urban myth), but I think it may be true. This would give them the information that they need as they could just measure the distance you've travelled on the road markings.

I don't fancy trying it though - I managed to get through a couple of years driving between Edinburgh and Newcastle every week without a ticket and I once counted 25 cameras (in about 100 miles) on that road.

Andy

20. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Build one of these and never get caught again!
    (Worlds cheapest radar detector - and it works!)