UK people & Funk Lines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ben Green, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Ben Green

Ben Green

Jan 11, 2001
    I'm currently learning to play bass, with about 8 weeks experience. I am at the stage where I can play basic blues riffs, and identify most of the notes on the fretboard.

My main choice of music is Jazz, Funk R&B etc. Does anybody know of any sites with a good selection of Funk bass lines in tab..? I've been looking for a while, but I can't seem to find anything decent.

Finally, are there any brits on the forum. I'm from London myself, so it'd be good to here from you...
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Try if you havent already. There is also a tab site here somewhere.

So you're from Thatlondon? I live in Bedfordshire.

3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, there's also, but I think that this site might be a mirror site, so you should probably look at the tabs here first.

I'm in Liverpool, by the way. From reading the other posts here, it looks like CS is the second mosr northern UK poster. There are also some others like Smoothgroover, Arthur Dailly, and Bruce Linfield, but I'm sure they'll along soon enough...
  4. alright mate.

I always use the talkbass archieve, it has everything that all the other sites had.

I'm from Worcester mmyself mate, How's your weather?
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'm from Norfolk(that's over there by Suffolk).
  6. I'm near Camberley in Surrey at the mo.

As for tab for funk - the rhythmic side of life is more complicated than the choice of notes in most cases (I'm assuming you are after 60's/70's James Brown type stuff) and most tab won't help you there.

There is an excellent book/CD about the James Brown rhythm sections that breaks up the grooves nicely so you can hear how they are put together.

It is worth the effort at this early stage to learn how to read rhythms within standard musical notation - that way if you see tab and music together you can nail the rhythm too.

If you can play basic blues riffs then with practice you should be able to hear the notes in some of the not-too busy stuff and play along.

Have you got a teacher? Learning a few basic scales/triads/modes + how chords work will help you develop your ear and speed progress a lot...

I've rambled on enough now:rolleyes:but Bruce Lindfield has eons more experience and education than I so should be able to give you better advice.

Have fun :)
  7. i'm from carlisle,, i got the jam factory on my doorstep,, well 3 miles down the road,,

any body got any amp advice,, see Amps
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well yes, I'm from Brighton and alternate between working at home and in London - Finsbury Square.

I agree that tab is almost useless for helping you play funk basslines. Much better to just get the CDs and play along - most of the lines repeat quite often, so there's no problem getting them, as "smoothie" said - there aren't always many notes , but it's fitting in with the rhythm which is important .

I have an album called "The Best Funk Album in the World....ever!" 2CDs - just listen to that and try playing all the bass lines - I recommend it as at least 10 times better than trying tab. ;)
  9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm from Birmingham.

If you're just starting out, all I can say is avoid bass tab websites! I lament the day I ever found - Seemed like a dream come true at the time, as I'd only been playing for a few weeks, making slow progress, and then all of a sudden, I was able to play a bunch of Jamiroquai and Stone Roses basslines.

Now (three years later), my musical tastes and aspirations have developed seriously, and my bass-practice time is spent unlearning two years of bad habits, ie. I'm now learning to read proper musical notation, and getting a grip of basic music theory.

I've been in the same boat as you, so go out and buy a good music theory book, and a bass technique book such as Ed Friedland's 'Building Walking Basslines' or something similar. Now is the time to get into good habits, believe me!