UK Talkbassers - fancy a get-together?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jul 1, 2003.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm coming down to London next Saturday (July 12th) to catch the recently-reunited Back Door (featuring one of my favourite bassists, Colin Hodgkinson) play at a free mini-jazz festival in north London (Waterlow Park, Highgate Village). The live music lasts from 1pm to 6pm.

I'm planning on making a day of it, and getting down to London early to visit the new Bass Centre and the Bass Gallery. If any UK Tbers want to meet at the shops, see Back Door, or meet for a drink or something to eat after (or all three), feel free to reply here.

I know that UK get-togethers have happened before, but with this free gig (which ought to be interesting to us bassists), it's an opportunity to do something in addition to meeting at the Gallery.
  2. D'oh! I don't believe it! HCBF and Pointbeing are having a get together on the 12th, now a TB proposal for a get togetehr on the 12th!

Turns out I will be in London on the 12th......but I will be at a wedding all day! Oh well, some other time!

Typical, my social diary is mostly empty, and then all these opportunities come along at once.....
  3. Pah, London - 600 miles away? More? Have something north of Liverpool and then I'd be able to come.

4. speaking of which, we'll need to get that Scotland get togetha' going!!

:D :D
  5. i recon its more like 380 miles away... but i could be horribly wrong.
  6. I thought everyone used kilometers outside of the US?
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    We are half and half in UK, some things are metric and others are not.

David-I'm always up for a meet but that date isnt looking good and there are many many thigs I would rather do than listen to 6 hours of jazz and dying is one of them.
  8. Shouldn't be *that* difficult, there's, what, six of us at most?

9. Sound Control gunna be lickin' their lips when we go down stairs!

:D :D
  10. I think they'd more be in shock....... 6 people in the bass section at once!!

:eek: :D

Actually, there's enough amps there to justify us doing some massive ensemble..... :cool:
  11. not to mention enough PA power to make us heard for MILES!!!

:cool: :bassist:
  12. Just checked...... 330 as the crow flies - so, yeah, probably 380 along the A1........ I think I got 600 from the number of kilometers it is.

Whatever, it's too far away.

(quick calculation - 7 or 8 hours drive at 50mph (I drive a '94 Skoda Favorit)...... :eek: - that's more hours than twice I've ever done in one stint....)
  13. Surely a Scottish TB get together would be called a "get thegither". :)

I'm hoping to be in Londres on 12 July. Getting a lesson from Steve Lawson 1-3pm-ish. I might well be persuaded to add on a little bit of bass trawling. Anybody want to see my Conklin GT7?

14. ah ken!
  15. o-aye ah firgit them kinna hins man...

so, whoo abit'it, like, ya bunch a .....s ? :p :rolleyes:

:D :smug:
  16. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've noted it in my diary although I'll need to see how it goes. I've got a busy few days coming up (Hip-hop bass for a DJ tonight, gig tomorrow, playing at a private party on Saturday...) so it will depend partly on how many unfinished jobs are waiting for me around the house by next weekend.

However, I'm particularly interested in the free music festival - any more details on that?

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Likewise - I like the idea of a free Jazz festival - but I'd like to know who else is playing as I'm not that keen on Back Door, but if ther were a few other good acts, then it would make the trip worthwhile?

I tried searching on the net but couldn't find anything... well unless you count details of a Jewish festival there, in 2002! ;)
  18. Uhm...even though I am not a UK TB member, can I join when you guys have another meeting?
    I have a Harmony Central meeting that weekend...

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Couldn't the two be combined? Do HC people not talk to TB and vice versa? :confused:

Oh and 13k posts!!