Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK TBers: 2nd Hand

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by screwball, Nov 6, 2004.

1. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    I've been looking for a new rig for a while, and the only rig for sale locally that i like is a GK 700RB 2x10 combo and GK 15" extendion cab. It sounds great, but the guy who's selling it wants a lot for it. He wants £750 for the combo and another £350 for the head, it is only 3-4 months old, but still, £1100! So my question is what is the most that you would pay for this rig?

Thanks

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i DEFINITELY wouldnt pay £1100 for that. www.gak.co.uk do the 700rb 2x10 for £949, so £750 seems okay but not great.

If i were you; I'd get an Ashdown ABM300EVOII head and a Mini4x8 or 1x15 or an ABM414 and save about £150 - for an, imo, much 'better' rig.

3. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    I tried out that setup in the Bass Centre about a month ago, the mini 15 and 4x8, i thought it sounded better than any other amp in there (on a par with the GK) The problem is that even though i'd get VAT off there's still shipping to take into consideration, and if i can get the GK for a decent price then that will be the cheapest solution.

I just checked GAK, and with VAT off I could get a new combo for £800. He shouldn't expect to get more than £600 for it, i'd consider myself lucky if i managed to sell it for that. I'll probably make him an offer and see how low he's prepared to go, if he still wants too much then i'll get the Ashdown.

Cheers Toasted (I think i might apply for uni at manchester just so i can "borrow" your pedulla ;) )

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Haha, go for it, my door is always open (although you may want to check the classifieds.)

The shipping shouldnt be more than £30 for the lot, check out www.soundslive.co.uk for cheap cheap prices on ashdown + reasonable shipping.

5. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    It would be about £1100 for the ashdown rig from soundslive, including postage, without VAT. If i can't haggle this guy down to something reasonable then i might just go for it.

Thanks again

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I second the ashdown, great amps. Being a UK TB'er you should support local businesses hehe.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    English Engineering at its best. GO Ashdown!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Great now we sound like the Ashdown cheerleaders.

Just for the record my pom-pom's are for the bedroom only...erm.. wait erm.... yer GO ASHDOWN

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    :E!