Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK TB'ers - anyone seen my old bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, May 7, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've decided I want to try and track down my old bass - the instrument means a lot to me for reasons too complex to go into here (suffice to say the bass probably saved my life on a couple of occasions). I ended up having to sell it a couple of years ago due to some financial hardship I was in at the time, and I've regretted it ever since... :( I sold it to The Bass Cellar in Denmark St, London, but by the time I had the cash to buy it back, they'd already sold it.

It has a bit of an unusual background - it started out as a body (with through-neck) from Brandoni Guitars, but was remodelled into the shape it's in by Chris McIntyre, formerly of The Gallery / Sei Bass (lots of sculpting, along with a new 26-fret ebony fingerboard). It's got a single Bartolini MME pickup (with 5-way coil selector switch) and a Schack 3-band EQ. It's also got a Kahler tremolo. The bass had a very midrangey, punchy sound.

When I sold it to The Bass Cellar, it wasn't in particularly amazing shape, the finish on the front and back was a little chipped, and there was the beginnings of a split in the headstock (just along a glue line).

Anyway, if anyone has any information on this bass, maybe someone here has it or knows the person who has, can you let me know?

Cheers!

Russ :bassist:

2. Finding you GB Rumor was easy....but i fear this one is going to be harder,,,the bass cellar shop keep records of sales maybe if u ask them nicely (or slip them a twenty) they might be able to help out..!!!!!

Goood luuuuckkk

I am off the see if i can nick ur old GB off the guy who now owns it..!!!!....

;)

3. funny- a few days ago when doing a search on Chris McIntyre I came accross a few messages you posted on The Bottom Line about this bass and how it was built.
    also ages ago I spotted a couple of ads you put in Loot- one to sell it, one to try and find it again.

will look out for it.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If it surfaces in Manchester, i'll know, and i'll tell you :)

5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'll let you know if I see it in Hertfordshire anywhere.

:ninja:

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Yep... good few years back now! :) I still subscribe to TBL and read it, but rarely ever post on it anymore, certainly not since I discovered TB!

I've had and sold other basses over the years, but this one I really miss. Kinda sad what you're forced to do to make up the rent sometimes. :( Thanks to everyone who's keeping an eye out for it for me.

7. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Me and Zenbass have Scarborough covered!

8. At least it's fairly distinctive... I really hope you find it again. And I hope some 13 year old hasn't decided to colour it yellow and cover it in stupid stickers, or paint swastikas on it in Tippex.

All the best Russ.

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    If I get it back, one of the first things I'm going to do is get it refinished! :) Possibly even get a nice maple top put on it or something. I shudder at the thought of some 13-year-old "customising" it... that bass is too good for some kid! :D

10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    About my old GB, you might notice that the unusual, non-GB body shape it has is very similar to my old bass pictured above - its shape was based on it. One of the reasons I want it back is that I designed that body shape, and I want to use it again on another custom bass - I could do with the old bass as a template.

I definitely think a phone call to the Bass Cellar is in order. The people who work there are a bunch of twats, in my opinion, but maybe for a little financial incentive... ;)

11. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Here's a couple more pics, one of me playing it, and one of it at home (with my old Mesa rig in the background).

12. was it based on the "Camac" Eko body-neck? (rosewood board, what looks like ash wings).

I saw it in the Brandoni catalogue with a P rout near the bridge and always thought an MM pickup would be ideal for it.

ps. a post on the www.bassworld.co.uk forum would broaden the search.

13. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    High Wycombe covered here!

Its sad when finacial reasons mean that you have to get rid of something! Unfortunatly you regret it! :crying:

Good luck!! ;)

Andy

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    That'll be the one... it did originally have a P pickup rout, hence the ebony surround around the MM pickup, to cover over the edges of the P rout! Not sure what the body wood was, looked a little yellow to be ash to me, although the grain was similar. Looked almost like pine, actually! :D There was also quite a few bits of wood in the body, maybe 2-3 per wing...