Uk TBers buying from USA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Mar 29, 2004.

1. I wondered whether UK players had bought itmes from the USA, perhaps via TB classified.

I'm interested in what's involved on the official side of things. Things such as customs declarations, duties to be paid at one or both sides of the Atlantic, etc, etc.

I have a possible bass deal going on via Classified for a Fender Jazz and I'm trying to discover what my obligations might be.

Wisdom appreciated as always.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There have been a few threads about this - with specific examples of how much it costs - VAT at 17.5% and customs duty - plus they may levy a handling charge for opening.

I've bought loads of small items from the US - strings, tuner, CDs Books, T-shirts - but I would never buy a bass. So shipping is expensive and what happens if there is a problem with it, when you get it? Could end up taking a lot of time and money to go back and forth across the Atlantic!! :meh:
  3. Hello Bruce.

Yes, the whole cost thing is is bit of a, a lot of a downer. The more I go into this the more prohibitive it seems to be. And, as you say, it's not like getting something from your local dealer.

To be honest I didn't realise there'd be VAT to pay: I've got a few enquiries out on that score but, hmmm.

Cheers Bruce.

4. I just bought a Musicman Sterling from the USA.

The lowest price I could get on a standard new Sterling here was £1024+£90 for the case and the distributor didn't have any in stock so they were going to order it from the USA anyway!.

I paid $885+$145 shipping. Then 17.5% VAT+3.5% Import Duty+UPS handling Fee at this end.

All in it cost me £705.

The dollar exchange was 1.85ish at the time.
  5. Interesting. I guess you bought via a dealer?

Did you ponder the possibility of needing to make a guarantee claim if something went wrong: how would you have dealt with that? It's something that worries me, frankly.