Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UK TB'ers - some help please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I am currently in the very early throes of setting up a small music gear distribution company. Since I obviously have a vested interest in bass gear, I would be interested to get some input from you on what gear that you currently can't get in the UK you would be interested in buying...

So far, I'm considering Brice (apparently SX already have a distributor, but they don't seem very prolific), Conklin Groove Tools, Mr Potato, The Music-Yo stuff (Steinberger, Tobias Toby) and possibly a couple of Japanese manufacturers' stuff.

So, any additional suggestions are welcome... :D

Russ :bassist:

2. That is quite a difficult question, you seem to have a number of good products in your list already.

Question. Are you going for the mass market end or up market. If up market, recently Ken Smith didn't have a UK distributor this might have changed but try them, also how about Roscoe, Benevente etc.

Good luck with it.

Matthew

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Hi Matthew...
    Well, I'm thinking primarily in the low to mid end of the market, rather than getting the super-sexy US custom stuff like Benavente.

In particular, has anyone found any particularly nice basses/guitars from Japan or the Far East?

Russ :bassist:

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'd be very interested in taking a look at the Groove Tools basses were they available in the UK.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i'd be very very interested in groove tools and mr.potato!

maybe you would consider amps by aguilar and eden, get us away from the "gallery" monopoly!

6. what do you mean by the gallery monopoly?
    rowan.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    its almost impossible to try / buy aguilar / eden etc from any place in england other than the bass gallery :)

8. What about stocking the Far East manufactured US lines e.g. Lakland Skyline, Conklin Groove Tools, Ken Smith KSD, Spector SSD, Sadowsky Japan, G&L Tribute, MTD Kingston & Heir, Cort Curbow, Lightwave Sabre...?

There could be quite a market for these mid-price equivalents of the big US names. We (Europeans) don't seem to have the same hang ups about things having to be US made... ;) It would also mean we could get our hands on these instruments for less.

9. Aria, especially the IGB series. Cheap as, but really high quality.

The tech. at college compares my £550 fretless fiver to his £1000 Jazz, they really are that good. I think the lowest one in the range (IGB-40ish?) got reviewed in last months Bass Guitar Magazine, they gave it one of the best reviews I've seen them give so far.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    XO-Bionic looks like you have yourself a few interested parties!

11. If he sells Dean Markley NickelSteels, then he's got my custom.

:cool:

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Lakland Skyline, Conklin Groove Tools, Ken Smith KSD, Spector SSD, Sadowsky Japan, G&L Tribute, MTD Kingston & Heir, Cort Curbow, Lightwave Sabre

^^^

most of those are impossible to get here in the UK without a large import + taxing + shipping fee for the local buyer. it sucks.

eg: the only place ive ever seen an MTD in the flesh is at bass centre manchester.. and that was an heir!

13. Hipshot hardware (esp. D-tuners).

14. This looks like it has some milage in it. However we on TB are quite well informed as to whats out there, and how good it is. But,I am not sure that the general public are quite so well informed and they might be looking for the same old same old.

You may need to do some research on how big your customer base will be and what your expectations of sales will be.

For all that it is a great idea, keep us informed on progress.

Regards

Matthew

15. I really, REALLY would like to see the SX/Brice stuff, I definetly want an SX Jazz to add to my arsenal. Also, Fender MIJ basses would be good to get hold of.

I hope this gets off the ground, it would be good for the UK TBer's who don't want to pay extortinate (sp?) import tax and such.

Good luck, make sure ya do plenty of research. :)

16. Hey how about jim reed basses?? Theres only 1 supplier in england and apparently these things are much better then MIM fenders, but half the price. There website is www.jim-reed-guitars.com

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought my Eden amp from Overwater in Carlisle and I tried the whole range at the Bass Centre!! :meh:

18. Bruce Lindfield

I bought my Lakland Skyline Deluxe 55-02 from the Bass Centre in London and they had loads of them!!

They also had loads of MTD Kingstons!

I have seen quite a few Ken Smith basses in the UK - although they are very expensive. But I can't imagine that anybody will be able to avoid this.

Any importer is going to have to pay VAT, customs duty and shipping - a registered company is less likley to be able to avoid this, than a private individual!

19. Bruce Lindfield

There is no way for anybody to avoid this - least of all a registered company - unless they do something illegal! :meh:

And I am not touching an illegally-purchased bass - I don't need a criminal record just to save a few pounds!! :rolleyes:

20. Bruce Lindfield

The Bass Cellar in Denmark Street, London - always has loads of Aria basses - they must have some kind of distribution deal for these?