Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UKers/anyone: know anything about Shuker basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I ran across them at www.shukerguitars.co.uk.

Their stuff looks good, certainly, and it seems to be priced competitively. I'm considering ordering a 6-string fretless acoustic bass from them.

Anybody ever played their basses or, better yet, actually done business with them? All thoughts welcome. Thanks.

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm in the middle of ordering a six-string J-bass with a figured top from him. Haven't played any basses yet, but I'm taking a chance. Jon Shuker is very helpful, and seems to know alot about wood, electronics, and his craft.

The new semi-solid looks very tempting, and is indeed reasonably priced.

3. i tried ure link, it doesn't seem to work

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think that's because, like a doofus, I put a period at the end. Try this:

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Their J bass looks tasty. I can take or leave the rest.

Pretty obvious whose influence was incorporated in their "semi-solid bass" design.

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    how much is 695(money sign) in us dollars?

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Today, about $1005.64, according to the currency converter at www.xe.com

8. £ 695 = about $ 1000

www.xe.com, thy local currency convertor.. at your service :D

( now don't tell me that you weren't able to figure that out yourself, eh ? lazy boy :) )

anyway..

Those basses sure as hell look nice.. very good price for a custom-built bass too :eek:

Top-quality European basses.. ya gotta love 'em :D

9. guitarbloke

guitarbloke

Nov 20, 2001
    England
    My 2 cents worth.

I was in the market for a new bass last year and like yourself stumbled on to Shuker basses web site. I must say I was impressed at the spec & prices. So I visited Jon Shuker last year to have a look at the basses in the flesh. I was REALLY impressed. I played quite a few basses that day, all of them were great, they have got to be some of the best basses around!

It was difficult for me to only buy 1 bass (because I wanted 3 of them). Choices, choices.....

I played the new J bass 5 string - stunning woods and a fantastic sound (severe attack of temptation). Next I tried an Elite thru-neck 6 string - massive range, plenty of EQ, ....harmonics like a bell, really easy to play for a 6. Lastly I tried the new Lamaq/Shuker acoustic 4 string bass - This can punch....superb bass tone, loud and funky.

After a lot of soul searching I just had to get the Thru-neck 6 first. It was just too tempting - the quality of Jons work is 1st class, the sound is fantastic, playability is second to none.

I have now placed an order for a custom made J 5 string (honest to god I couldn't resist). You know the story......small kid, giant candy store!!...Dear Mr Bank Manager.....

If you are looking for a really superb bass I would recommend taking a serious look at Shuker Basses - I think It'll be hard to find any better.

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Thanks for the hands-on review. G.A.S. is worsening even as I write.

Did you by chance see any of his non-J bolt-ons? That is, the ones that look just like the thru-necks but aren't? I ask because I'm not completely convinced that thru-necks are necessarily better for everyone's needs, even in 6 string configurations (which is what I'd want). For instance, I know that John Patitucci's signature Yamaha 6-string is a bolt-on, at his own request, and he prefers it to his older thru-neck TRB6.

11. guitarbloke

guitarbloke

Nov 20, 2001
    England
    Richard,

I did see some of Jon's bolt-on neck models, as nice as they were, my personal preference was for a thru-neck style, although I think the general construction is similar in both types.

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.

thanks you 2!:)

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I hear there's a Chinese deluxe model in the works

j/k;)

14. guitarbloke

guitarbloke

Nov 20, 2001
    England
    I think the rumours you are hearing are about the new guitars are flawed, threy are made in Tibet, not China.

They are boringly crafted by celibate monks from a single pc of fire-wood (this includes all pickups and strings etc) and they must perform this task by wearing the wood away with the back of a spoon.

My sources tell me that the guitars are made for free, but my contacts also tell me that Jon's trying to haggle the price down a bit!

Don't quote me on this;)

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey guitarbloke, when do you get your J 5? You'll have to post a review when it arrives.

I'm inching closer to pulling the trigger on an acoustic 6 ... but the solid bodies are starting to look pretty sweet as well ...

16. guitarbloke

guitarbloke

Nov 20, 2001
    England
    Hey richard,

I'll post a quick review when I get the bass in a few weeks. It sure is purdy...!

17. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What woods did you decide on? What pickups? Electronics? Tell us! :)

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I need a source of income. Now!

19. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    I thought you might read this thread Oysterman:).
    I think I will go and see these first hand, but I have real doubt that they will be as well made as SEI basses. Though Sei bass are more expensive the craftsmanship is amazing. And GB basses are pretty funky too.

Matt

"Spring has past
    Summer has gone
    Winter is here
    And the song that I meant to sing
    Is still unsung
    I have spent my days stringing and unstringing my instrument"

SANSCRIT SAYING

20. Allo!

Jon's basses are exemplary - we know him through the creation of our own products which I am not allowed to mention on these boards as I did not realise that advertising is not allowed. However, he has been very helpful in supplying us with wood!

I fully recommend his basses!

Nick