1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ukulele instruction / music books

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Axtman, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    My 17 year old niece is really getting into the ukulele. I find this unusual because her real love of music is opera and she will be studying that in college. Whatever.

When I lived in Hawaii, I saw lots of kids with ukes. BTW the proper pronunciation is "ookalaylee" and it means "flea jumping".

I saw on TV where they are teaching kindergartners to play uke because it is cheap, lightweight, and perfect scale for small fingers. Plus there are only 4 strings.

Anyhow, please recommend me uke music books for my niece.

As an added bonus her playing drives my sister crazy! :hyper:

2. I recently purchased a Ukulele for my son's 15th birthday. He already plays piano, sings and is very good with music theory so he took to it immediately. I don't know about books but I know he looks at this website quite a bit.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/

3. That must be a regional thing. I own 6 ukes, been playing and teaching ukulele for decades, and this is the first time I've heard that.

The Jumpin' Jim series (Jim Beloff) is pretty good, but a quick search of Amazon.com will land you a wealth of material. She can specify selections to her needs and tastes.

4. ubersku

ubersku

Sep 15, 2010
    Keizer, OR
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There's a big uke orchestra in a local junior high school that my friend instructs. You could try contacting any of the instructors on this site, which belongs to some other local friends of mine, for book recommendations. PM me if you have any trouble getting what you need. I jam with the first guy on the list quite often.

6. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    when i got a uke i started learning out of 'jumpin jims gone hawaiian.' decent book, but honestly i was never too interested in playing hawaiian music. i ended up just using the included chord chart as a reference for whatever songs i wanted to learn.

if you drill yourself hard on chords until they're automatic, ukulele can also be very useful for songwriting...unlike guitar, there's not really a set of 'awkward chords' that require big stretches/muted strings