1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ukulele sector?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wulfensteiner, Apr 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Taking a look around, it's fair to say that we all share a deep appreciation for four-stringed instruments :)

So in my estimation, it's only right that the ukulele finds its way into that circle of appreciation. Well, screw you guys, I appreciate it haha.

I'm a very clueless beginner and I'd like to expand my mind about this sweet sounding little wooden box. And Id love to do so among you guys. If there is anyone on TB who can share hints, tips, experiences, the time they used their uke as a doobie ashtray, please speak up and enlighten us!

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Plenty of fans of the rubber-stringed bass uke, with a number of folks comparing it favorably to a plucked upright once run through an amp. Not to mention being so much more portable (and less expensive) if you were going to amp the upright anyway, but I'm stuck with an amp-hostile but otherwise nice set of folks, so I gotta haul the big one.

As for the other sort, if anything pries folks off their phones & tablets to play some actual music, I'm in favor, though I feel like the uke craze has peaked and started to fall off a tad. But I've seen a fair few go on to play additional instruments, and if playing a uke brings you joy, joy be with you. I know a few (and know of considerably more) who are not even the youth market (whence I perceived the craze to be) that are involved in ukulele orchestras/bands.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  3. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I have and play a baritone uke. It is the largest of the family, and is tuned just like the highest 4 strings of a guitar. Being originally a guitar player, this make the bari uke the easiest to add to the instrument collection. I don't have to learn anything new, just accommodate to the fretboard scale and body size.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    MonetBass, spvmhc and Wulfensteiner like this.
  4. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
  5. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Baritone uke does appeal to me, for certain. I don't mind a steeper learning curve though, I'm having a blast.

6. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Craze, shmaze. I'm not doing this because it's the "in" thing. I genuinely like the sound and feel of the instrument and want to know more about what makes it what it is.

7. Aisle 6, next to the accordions

8. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I ventured toward the mandolin recently. Fun but tiny.

Deak likes this.
  9. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Trying to learn to play one of those has proven to be allot more difficult than I would have thought. Those buttons are tiny. Not to mention squeezing the bellows in time, while playing melody with one hand and bass with the other is not easy at all!

I've come close to buying a bass uke to mess around with, but never pulled the trigger.

10. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I love the ukulele! I'm a bassist at heart but I'm actually best at playing uke. I am considering getting a 5-string ukulele, which has a low G and a high G in an octave course.

11. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Wasn't saying you were, but the craze does make them more trivially available than 10 or 15 years ago. Not that you couldn't get one, but they were not *everywhere* as has been the case in the past 5-7 years. At least per my casual observation...

Wulfensteiner likes this.
  12. I got a cheap Hadean bass uke even cheaper on sale, and a MUCH cheaper Rogue baritone uke that I reinforced and strung EADG. Both were fix-it projects, both reasonably successful, and get occasional use. No regrets.

I'm too lazy to learn a properly tuned uke, but have nothing against them in the right hands. A correctly strung uke in my hands would be a pretty sad situation, but I'm trying to learn violin-as-fretless-half-mandolin. That's pretty sad too, but I'll stick with that until someone breaks it over my head.

mikewalker and Wulfensteiner like this.
  13. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh! My bad. See, here in Australia, the craze didn't really take off as much as it did elsewhere. While they are in every music shop, I wouldn't say they're flying off the shelves. That said, some cats I know are doing some absolutely insane things with them and I want in on that haha

14. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    On the nights that the harmonica owner can't be there to bug you about sitting in for a "couple of songs" he's going to send his friend with the ukulele.

mikewalker and Jason Hollar like this.
  15. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I built the stew-Mac uke kit a few years ago and absolutely loved the project.
    Still haven’t become a proficient uke player but it stands proudly on top of my piano as a trophy to my amateur luthier abilities.

mikewalker and Wulfensteiner like this.
  16. Wulfensteiner

Wulfensteiner Banned

Mar 24, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    I would be very interested in one of these kits myself! Can I get a hook up?

17. Once upon a time, there was a very successful double bass player in Los Angeles, a member of the Wrecking Crew, who found the pressure of work too great.

So he moved to Hawaii and became a ukelele virtuoso.

And his name is.....(for $200).

18. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing...

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I play a Kala bass uke and really like it. I got my daughter a Córdoba ukulele and it sounds wonderful - a joy to play.

It’s like a guitar capo’d at the 5th fret with the one little octave string. There are hundreds of quality YouTube videos on how to play songs - good stuff - good luck!

zontar and Wulfensteiner like this.
  19. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I prefer tenor ukes over the smaller ones as they're louder and I find them easier to play. Baritone ukes are a lot of fun too, kinda like less cumbersome classical guitars. I have a really nice solid-wood baritone for most of my playing and a cheap laminated one that's perfect for camping and backpacking.

Whatever kind of uke you get, my advice is to make sure you put good strings on it. That will have a huge impact on sound and playability, way more than it does on a steel-string electric.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    mikewalker and electracoyote like this.