Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UL-112 vs. GS-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Mar 14, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    OK... so there probably is a thread about this, but the search function didn't give me anything for the many ways I tried to search... So here goes:

I want to hear from TB'ers that have owned both an Epifani UL-112 & Aguilar GS-112 in the past and what comments people have about them. What are the pros and cons about each?

I've owned 3 GS112's in the past and recently about to try the Epi 112, but want to know more about what others think.

I love the Epifani T-410 that I have and that is part of the motivation in making this move.

2. If he doesn't show up on your thread in a while, PM Mikebass. I believe he used two GS112's in the past, and is now using a brand new shiny pair of 112UL's.

Ken

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    UL112 - most cut and punch of any 1x12 i've owned. despite using only 10" speakers, only 1x12 i'd actually want to own.

GS112 - fat, thick, full sound. dont really hear the "lack of mids" some mention, but did not get the cut i wanted.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    thanks guys, you two were actually the cats I was expecting to hear chime-in on this thread.

I used to use a pair of GS112's for a couple of years, but then needed 10's, so I sold one GS112 and bought a 410 (ol'skool Epi T-410, LOVE IT!)... I love having that single 112 cab for rehearsals and low volume jazz gigs. So, from what I have been hearing about the UL112's, I think that is my next 112 to try.

... well, me and my heavy Epi T-410 are off to play a gig.
    :D

5. Cool. TBer Wilbyman also regularly gigs with a 112UL and really likes it. They really do sound great, and are stupid lightweight... kind of 'laugh when you pick it up' lightweight.

There will also be reviews posted soon of the Schroeder 1210Lights... 35 pounds... they just started shipping this week. The regulars are not much bigger than a typical 112 and will knock down a house. If the lights are relatively close, that 1210L could be an amazing cab for what you are looking for also.