1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UL-502 and rock...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, May 4, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    For some reason, I continually come back to GASing for this head. I'm about to just pull the plug and get one; but I have a few questions.

Mainly, how does it work with rock music? Can it get gritty/growl? Even if it doesn't, I figure a Sansamp BDDI would do the trick.

I'm just looking for a great, lightweight head for everything I do. I'm finding my DB750 to be too much in many situations.

I've been playing a variety of stuff lately, between:

- Sunday morning church services
    - Wed. night youth services (will be doing more with this over the summer and into fall w/ camps and whatnot).
    - 4-pc. rock band (alt. rock, along the lines of 3 doors down [not a huge fan of 'em; but that's what people say]).
    - giving lessons
    - solo material
    - and am starting to work with a small blues band

So, I want something that's going to work well all-around. Having a GS410/DB750 as my only rig is starting to get rather tiresome. Plus, my financial situation won't allow me to change anything about that for quite a while.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would think the Thunderfunk (or EdenWT550) would line up better with the type of sound you are looking for... and it's lighter than the 502 even! I don't have any experience with the 502, but virtually every review talks about 'clean and very 'hi fi'.. which doesn't sound like what you're after.

There's a number of posts talking about how the TF can be EQ'd to approach the tone of the DB750 also.

Finally, the AG500 (two channel version) has tons of rock grit and is also very small and light. It seems these heads didn't really catch on, and you see them for pretty good sale prices new, and they come up used quite ofter.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The AG500 does have the most grit out of just about every amp I've played through. I'm also including guitar amps in the comparison. It's not just capable of balls out nasty, but it's very usable as well. The clean channel is clean, so you can get a wide range of tones out of this.

I don't consider the TFB550 to be very gritty either. It's a relatively clean amp, even with the gain turned up. Of course, that's compared to the AG500 and other "dirty" amps.

Oddly enough, the UL502 is the most similar to the DB750 in my opinion. It's a real quick and responsive power section, along with a crystal clear preamp. I wouldn't call it sterile, but a very meaty clean. You can get more of a wooly sound out of it by playing with the gain and mids, but I still consider this amp to be clean and clear as opposed to dirty and nasty.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 on your comment about the TF. It's not gritty... but it is very warm and punchy and works well in a rock setting.

I'm quite surprised to hear you say the UL502 is similar to the DB750. I've never played a 502, but have played a DB750 a number of times. The sound of the 750 is very tubey and warm to my ear, with tons of openess (too much IMO) in the low end, and a very warm, mellow and tube like treble response.

All the reviews of the UL use terms like quick, clean, hi fi, etc.... so I thought the UL502 would be more similar to, say, the iAmp800. My perception put the 502 at the total other end of the tone spectrum for the 750 from the reviews. Interesting!

Anyway, just interested and along from the ride:)

K

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Well each player has different things they look at that sets things apart or makes em similar. Yes, the DB750 does have a warm tubey sound, but the similarity with the 502 is quick responsiveness. Both amps sound like they have headroom, and both seem to have armies of tone genies in the power section, ready to do their job in a split nanosecond's notice.

The DB750 is also a clean amp, and there's not much else out there that can compete with the power of the mono block amp. But, for a digital switching amp or any amp for that matter, the 502 is a quick and responsive power section as any I have seen. The 502 and DB750 both have killer power sections, and are capable of very clean and clear tones. They are on a similar spectrum, with the 750 leaning towards warm, and the 502 leaning towards clear.

On the other hand, I find the Thunderfunk to be the warmest of all of em out of the box. Especially with the "switch" engaged.

6. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I've found my 502 to be warm, clear, full and tight, not hi fi at all. Of course it may depend on the bass and spk one is using.
    I play everything from old Motown to heavy rock.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Well... now you guys have gone and got me interested in the 502 again:bassist:

8. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Now now Ken, you've got your Glock. :spit:

I've never played through the DB750, so I cannot make a comparison.