1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UL112...How Many Watts til she blows?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, not sure but I may have blown the driver on my UL112 at tonights gig. We were playing at a large-ish club (The Roxy... for people famaliar with Vancouver clubs). Full PA support. I just used my UL112 for stage monitoring. However, we played fairly loud... at least for us. I ran my UL112 with my carvin bx1200 bridged at 800w for 8 ohms. I cut the high mids and treble completely. I had the poweramp dimed and the master vol at 4 and drive at 5. The speaker was bouncing around in that box pretty good. I think I may have blown the driver as it didnt sound right a few songs into our one hour set. BUT it may be just the way I had the amp setup as I'm still learning this amp's layout.

Tomorrow I'm going to give it a test and see how the speaker sounds without any 'ambient' noise (ie drummer/guitarist ;)).

The cab is rated for 300w and figure I was putting about 300-350w into it.

So I was under the impression that a cab can handle at least 100w more than its rated for.... right or wrong? Did I blow this thing?

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Could be the amp. Was it hot in there? Did you make sure you were not sending a clipped signal?

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How do you figure that?

As the speaker was bouncing around pretty good you could have caused excursion related damage. If you weren't boosting the low EQ knobs then you're unlikely to have caused thermal damage unless you were repeatedly running the amp into clipping and thus increasing the average power output.

Generally speakers exhibit quite a lot of distortion before having excursion related problems.

Alex

4. Why would you do that?

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I figure if I had 800w total power available with master vol on 4 I should be a little less than 400w. Just guessing really.

I didnt boost the eq but I did drastically cut the high mids and treble. I dont recall seeing the amp clip. Didnt think of that.

It wasnt hot really in the club. And the fan is fully functional.

The E string notes really lost their thump. However, it may have just been something rattling around. I couldnt really tell within the mix volume. Strangely, the E on the A string (and other higher notes) sounded fine.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Bass baby! Treble sucks ; )

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

bouncing around is never a good thing.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Don't know if bouncing is the right word. Just alot of speaker movement.

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. It's still a 800W amp.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It doesn't work like that. The knobs are not power knobs they are gain knobs. So put a hot enough signal into the amp and (assuming that the preamp doesn't clip before the power amp does) you'll get full power even when the gain knobs are way down.

Figure in that you're using a small 1x12" cab which doesn't have much sensitivity in the lows and not even all that much in the lows mids compared to the high mids and highs and you could be pushing a lot of power into it to little sonic avail.

On the plus side, bass guitar produces a very dynamic signal (~10:1 peak to average power) so if your amp was never clipping then you were unlikely to be averaging more than a 100W output so thermal damage is pretty unlikely. But on the other side of the coin it only takes one big burst of low frequency power to cause mechanical damage through over-excursion.

Have you considered a large but light 1x15" cab? You have enough power to get big SPL out of an 8 ohm 15" and something like a 3015LF will be able to take every last watt you can throw at it without problems but won't even need that many watts because it'll be so much louder than a little 1x12".

Alex

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, I should of brought my schroe 1212R. I wimped out because there is this brutal staircase to navigate. So I went with the 30LB cab instead of the 58LB. The 1212R is rated at 3 times the power 1000w versus 300w so it would have been a much better choice.

Lesson learned.