1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UL310 or "2" UL112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joeykun, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    Hey Guys,
    My first post. I don't sound any different than anyone else on here that needs a new back friendly cab. I am looking to sell my Mesa Boogie Road Ready cabs (a 210 and a 115) to get something lighter. I have read enough on the Epi UL line and think that is the way to go for me. I never heard them but, enough posts tell me they are great. My rack is a Sansamp RBI with a DBX 1066, BBE 362 and a QSC PLX1202. I use a Sadowsky Standand 4 and a Modulus Quantum 5. My question is what would work better with my rack? The 310 or 2 112's. Please help me out. Again, I have not heard these cabs but I trust other bass players views. Thanks! Joeykun

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

dunno if either would be nearly as loud as your old mesa setup. i'm thinking a ul410 would be better for you. what kind of firepower are you up against onstage? and how loud do you guys run?

3. Joeykun

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    My drummer is a hard hitter. I was putting 200watts into each mesa cab and it was fine. If I bridge my amp mono I would have plenty of power to cover the stage.

4. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    a 310 and a 212 ......go big or go home.

in all seriousness, it does sound like the 410 would be a better overall option

5. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I have a 410 and 310 but I've yet to gig my 310. Both are Series one. I've used the 410 a bunch of times and it's loud. We did a big club last night with huge FOH and the sound man had me practically out of the PA support. I used my TF550A and tried out my LMII both were at lower settings too. The 410 Series One is just a killer cab and light as a feather. Tear down and move home was a breeze.

I'm really looking forward to using the 310 in some smaller venues soon, I do realize it does not have the upper mid cut that the 410 has. The 410 is at least 20-25% louder than the 310 at the same amp setting, but you can always turn for the 310. Ken Jung calls it expotentionally louder..he is correct. I haven't heard the Series II 410UL but I wouldn't trade my Series I for nuttin' it's a cutting maching and just sounds great in the mix. My band mates are always telling me they love the cab although sometimes in smaller or funky type rooms it's too loud. That is were I'm bring my 310 to next time.

6. +1 ...Having gigged with the ul410, single ul310, stacked ul310's, and stacked ul112's, I'd definately recommend the UL410 hands down.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    so were you cranking the amp? or going half way, etc?

8. Joeykun

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Hey thanks all for the input. It sounds like everyone is leaning towards the 410. Has anyone played the new series II yet? I am sure there is a post around here somewhere that explains the difference. If anyone knows someone looking for Mesa Boogie RR cabs and lives in MA send them my way!!!!!

9. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    +1 to the +1! I haven't gigged all those cabs, but there isn't much you CAN'T do with the UL410. I'm stacking a UL210 on the UL410 tonight....outdoors....if I had more power to throw at the 410, I wouldn't have to bring the 210.

10. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana

Hey Tall
    So... what did you power the 410/210 with?
    Also are both 4ohm or 8 ?
    Are they both Series One ?

Just curious... I tried a 210UL S-2 and was not knocked out by it. On top of my 410UL it was nice but not the tone I was looking for, sorta compressed sounding ... the 310 on top hit my sound preference way better, and even better side by side. You should hear it with the 902C... eeegadd. My DB750 is also impressive. I'm stuck some where in the middle of tone-world with my 902 and db750. The 902c is a wide ultra clear voicing and the 750 is more focused but needs more clarity... I chose to keep the 750 because I can use the power amp section for multiple apps. If I could get a TF or LMII in the power range of the 902 or 750 I think that would end my search.

11. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, I used my WalkAbout....the 410 is 4 ohm, the 210 is 8, so each speaker gets the same power, and they're both series 1. I opted out on the 210 when I saw the layout and got them to agree to put some bass in the PA. Really, the little 300 watt Mesa with the 410 can do about anything, unless you're outdoors with no PA support. I know the UL210 gets a bad rap here at TB, but for 38 pounds, it sounds great to me....and it's only for quiet gigs (or stacking for bigger ones).

12. Definitely Bridge the amp into 2 single 8ohm 12's should be fine. This setup kicks ass and is portable. The 112's will fit in any car or taxi, and you have the option of using just one for a rehearsal.The added power will enhance the speakers. will kick ass over your previous cabs!

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    if your amp is bridgeable, then you should look into the UL-410's from Musiciansfriend. They are $999, free shipping. Great deal, and your power amp would be giving you enough power to get it there, if you know what I mean.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That was only an 8ohm cab, and price is now back up to 1149 for both UL and UL2 series 410 cabs.

The UL-410 is a great cab, I haven't heard the UL2-410 but have no burning desire to. Can't believe it would be sufficiently 'better' to make it worth the cost / hassle of changing.

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'm hoping that we can A/B them at some point, possible at LDS or Tom's Basement. :D

16. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I got my UL410 Series 2 almost 2 weeks ago and loving it. I A/B'ed against my Series 1 and Nick has improving it's frequency's voicing more to the low end and low mid's to smooth out it's dominate mid voicing. A much better low mid punch. It's not a drastic change as in the change up from the NYC to the UL series, just a really nice improvement that'll, IMO, attrack those that didn't care much for the Series 1 dominate mid viocing and those that like the Series 1 should still be pleased with the Series 2. I was still able to easily dial in more mids as needed.

If you go with the 112's, they may get lost in the mix with what you described about the band. The UL310 is a great sounding cab and can sit well within many mixes but I'd recommend the UL410 in your case. It's a cab that'll do it all IMHO, small gigs to large outdoor (without PA suport). As mentioned in an earlier post here, I to have had the PA techs ask me to turn down because the UL410 can really throw the sound out there. They are not complaining at all, they really like it's punch and fullness. Used with either my WW's Ultra or Epi UL502. Haven't had the chance to use my UL902C in that type of venue yet but have some of those gigs coming up in July.

17. Joeykun

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Thanks, Mac.
    I decided to go with the UL2-410. It sounds like the series 2 is more towards the sound I like. I will have to buy it before I hear it since they are not offered by any of the stores near me. But, all the reviews have been extremely helpful. My Boogie cabs are on ebay and I have had a couple questions on them so hopefully they will move soon so I can get my epi. It looks like Musician friend would be the best deal with the no tax and free shipping. Has anyone seen a better deal? Thank you all again.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    build a good relationship w/ a dealer and you may see a break here and there. then again, most anything is better than buying from a faceless company, IME.

but hey, a good deal's a good deal.

19. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Call VanGelder Music...

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think Ken has a Series 2 UL410 coming, so he's probably going to be the man for this particular task. :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021