Ulna Nerve Lesion.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassicinstinct, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I have just received the results of some neurological tests I had done a few weeks ago and the Hospital is telling me that they suspect a "lesion on the ulna nerve" in my left arm (I am right handed) and that they "recommend surgery to further investigate the problem and, possibly, alleviate it at the same time". :meh: :meh:

I have yet to discuss it with the surgeon, so I have no idea at present what sort of "odds" they are going to give me on the chances of curing it or, for that matter, making it worse. :eek: :eek:

The symptoms I have been suffering from is waking in the morning with the second third and fourth fingers of my left hand "clenched" straight against my palm. The only way I can release them is to put my hand in warm water and massage it for a few minutes. Once I've done that, the fingers loosen up BUT my left forearm (from the elbow down) and all three fingers feel tingly all the time. Kind of a cross between pins and needles and the feeling you get if you hit your "funny bone" on something. I find that the most comfortable position for the second third and fourth fingers of my left hand is the position they are in when I wake and they seem to naturally go into that position when I am not thinking about it or concentrating on playing. It doesn't seem to affect the first finger or thumb at all.

I am not playing any more or less than usual and the material I am working on is no more or less demanding than before, so I can't really see what has changed. I have been suffering with it for about a year now and it has taken this long to have it checked out.

I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced anything like this and, if so, how successful the possible surgery is likely to be? I have to admit that I am truly terrified that they may do the operation only for it to get worse and for me to actually lose the ability to play. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Any advice/reassurance/anecdotes etc would be very welcome.
  2. Bump.

Sorry guys, but I am desperate for some advice here. :meh:
  3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Have you been to a physical therapist? I had trigger finger in my right hand ( I play lefty)on and off for over two years, and had several cortisone injections. At one point I couldn't make a fist for 2 weeks. Finally I got another docs opinon and he sent me to a PT. Cured me in 3 weeks :hyper: No recurrences in 9 months!
  4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Isn't that Joe Nerve's ex? ;)
  5. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Boy - I would try chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, and anything else before surgery or cortisone injections. Seek alternative opinions before going under the knife.
  6. I friend of mine had surgery for carpal tunnel and it got infected while at the hospital and he has permanent nerve damage. He was the lead singer and rythm guitar player in his band and could only sing after that. This is very isolated but I wouldn't take any chances!
  7. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  8. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Look, pal... you stay as far away from that surgeon as possible! Of course he's going to recommend surgery... that's how he makes that payment on the Bentley.

Take "eggman's" advice. Besides, you said so yourself that, after what seems to me to be a little "self-rehab therapy", you're able to get it going a bit. That right there sounds to me like you should be able to get over this...

Good luck, and God bless you...

Aloha... :cool:
  9. Guys:

Thanks for your input - very much appreciated.

I think you are maybe confirming that I'm right to be, at best, nervous and, at worst, absolutely terrified about going down the surgical route. :meh:

Coincidentally, I got talking to a homeopath after a rehearsal last night and I understand that there may even be some homeopathic remedies that will do the trick and, of course, will be totally non-invasive.

Also, my daughter is in her final yeat at University reading Chiropractic, so maybe a phone call would be a good idea. Cheap too. :D :D

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again. :)
  10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Through work, I see Nerve lesions all the time. The MD's always start with conservative treatments (meds and PT) first and see where that leads.

If your current doc is rec. surgery right off the bat, I'd get a second opinion, and see what another doc says.

As hard as this sounds, you might need to take a break from playing for awhile and just let your arm rest.

A few things you can do at home: Get a few icepacks (those blue gel ones) and keep them in the freezer. Ice it after a long day. Remember to stop and take a break when possible to stretch and massage your arm.
  11. Reading between the lines, I think what the hospital are actually saying is that that they suspect an ulna nerve lesion and that they want to "go in" to investigate and, if they find anything, try to fix it. :meh: :meh: Presumably, if they did not find what they were expecting, it would be "back to the drawing board"??

I appreciate what you are saying about laying off from playing for a while, but this has come at a VERY bad time (not that there is ever a good one :( ). I've got about another 4 rehearsals before an important run of gigs with a new project kicking off in August with shows currently booked right through until March 2006. That is the major reason that I daren't consider the surgical route,or at least not just now. :meh: :meh:

Interesting what you were saying about ice packs. It actually seems to be warmth rather than cold which eases it.
  12. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Spoke to my chiropractor this morning about your original post and the first thing he said was how is your neck? You see if you are not familiar with chiropractic - everything is connected to everything else (ankle bone connected to the shin bond - shin bone connected to the knee bone etc). Pinched nerves in the neck can cause damage or pain somewhere else. Chiropractic seeks to relieve stresses on the nerves to help the body heal itself. Surgery might remove the lesion but it will not remove the cause of the lesion. Good luck in finding other opinions and alternative treatments.
  13. Eggman:

Th neck is fine.

Interesting though. :meh: :meh:
  14. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Though you might not have a pain in your neck - it is possible that a slight pinch in a nerve there has manifested itself in the lesion. Pinch off a garden hose near the end and it might burst anywhere along its length - not right at the pinch.

I am not a chiropractor - but I see mine regularly and my health has benefitted greatly by the treatments I receive.

Good luck.
  15. Understood.

I will speak to my daughter pronto and ask her what she thinks.

Thanks for your advice. :)
  16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA

I hear ya on not having time to slow down!! I have some pretty serious issues in my shoulders, back and arms from work. I just don't have the time to deal with it. I work in worker's comp, so also I know the problems with filing a claim that might be questionable :rollno: and my company's carrier is a royal pain in the arse...

As for icing vs. Heat, both should work.

Heat increases blood flow around the injury, which does relieve pain. After heating it, you can do some gentle stretchs and execercises and that might help tremendously.

Icing also helps as it reduces the swelling.
  17. bassman314:

Thanks for that too. :)