1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ultimate 4-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitenoise17, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    I'm in the market for a new
    4-string bass, and if you've read any of my other threads, you may know that I am
    OBSESSED with finding the brightest tone possible.
    I've already got a few basses on my list that I want to look into, but I want to make sure I'm not looking over any of my other options.
    What are some of the
    brightest-sounding quality
    4-string basses out there that sell for less than $800 but more than $300?
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I find a disparity between the title of the thread and the criteria found within. But I am fully bought into your enthusiasm.

Having said that, when I think bright in that range I think Ibanez. I'd take a look at the SR500 or it's neighbors.
    eJake likes this.
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    I had an Ibanez TMB that could be almost unreasonably bright. My Japanese Jaguars can also come pretty close to being annoyingly bright. Both are well within your budget. Please note that I can always cop a deep thud from these basses, but you asked about bright, so... I would suggest something with a bridge pickup, most likely single coil and, in my case, preferably with an active circuit. Good luck!
  4. when you say "new" is that brand new or new to you?

what basses are on your list so we don't waste time listing what you already have in mind
  5. Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    I'm looking more at passive basses, as I don't like having to replace the battery whenever it goes dead:rollno:
    The Schecter Stiletto 4, though active, seemed pretty solid last time I tried one out. Very nice high end on it. It sounded and looked pretty mean!
    I've also been considering Ibanez SR's, as I very much like how bright my GSR206B 6-string sounds, and the build quality is very tight and solid.

On what you said, I would prefer to get a brand new bass, as I'm not yet sure how I feel about buying a used bass.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Most of the SR's are active. I don't get the hang up with changing batteries. Even on basses that use a lot of battery, they only need to be replace about every 6 months:rollno::rollno:
  7. fretter

May 24, 2012
    PJ with treble knob turned up
  8. spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    The G&L MFD pickups are naturally bright ime. Nice basses.