Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultimate 80's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerman, Oct 2, 2002.

Ultimate 80's basses

Poll closed Jun 9, 2003.
  1. Steinberger

87 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Spector

22 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. Guild Pilot

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Factor

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. MM Stingray

43 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. Charvel

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Hamer {with Tiger stripes Yah Baby}

10 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Tune

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  9. Sloppy Americam Fender s {build quality} 80"s

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  10. Anything with EMG PJ config.

11 vote(s)
    4.6%
  11. BC Rich

40 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Ah the 80s Big Hair some cool Basses

2. I immediately thought of B.C. Rich, but, since it wasn't included I didn't vote.

I'm hurt. :(

Mike J.:D

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The Steinberger was obvious to me, from a bassist's point of view.

The NS-2 prototype came out in `79. Steinbergers just incorporated so many characteristics of the 80's bass revolution;

- radically new materials
    - radically new shapes (or NO shapes in regard to the headstock
    - minimalist, ergonomic, "Star Wars-esque" design
    - active electronics
    - black, black, and more black

Sting, Geddy Lee, Bill Wyman, Curt Smith (Tears for Fears), John Taylor, were just some big 80's names using them.

Of course, some big 80's bassists like Mark King and Billy Sheehan weren't but those guys were more about their technique/style than their "tools."

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Always wanted a thunderbird, but didn't want a 4 string. And the epiphones don't count, cause the spacing is almost like a guitar!

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    One more for the original BC Rich basses, especially the Mockingbird.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The Steinberger always jumps to mind, it's that minimalist shape.

Right behind it, I always think of the Spector.

Guess it's something with Ned's designs?

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Kubicki X-Factor holds a special place in my heart as far as ultimate 80s basses are concerned.

8. they made basses in the 80s? :D

9. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    wow..lets just forget the 80's...pleeeeeeeeeze

10. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    The first bass that I thought of was the B.C. Rich Warlock. After that was anything by Charvel with p/j pickups. I guess I automatically think of big hair bands when I think of the 80's.:rolleyes:

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

Me Three!

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Impossible - too many life changing events: first j, first gig, first love, first heartbreak, first car, first car wreck, first solid-state amp.....oh I could go on....

13. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    I voted Spector... seems like everywhere you looked you saw a Spector. I didn't really know what they were at the time, but I thought they were cool looking.:D

14. No BC Rich? It's a shame. The old Eagle looked great!

15. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Steinberger and all its clones (remember the Westone Rail?). I still own a Yamaha BX-1, a headless from that era.

16. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Where is the option for Kramer Basses? That is what first came to mind for me. I guess because I have never been able to get the Nelson Twin's "After the Rain" video out of my head.

Have to bow to the superiority of BC Rich, though. Ultimate 80's hair band bass. Go Bobby Dall!!!!!!!

Robert

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt, now.:)

BC Rich is now on the poll.

18. Not to rain on your parade, Mr. Fingerman, but I already had an 80s bass poll a while back. I can't retrieve the thread but somebody here sure could.

Anyway, my faves are Steinberger, Kubicki, Ibanez Musician, BC Rich Mockingbird, Aria II Pro, Spector, and the Yamaha... BB3000??

Actually we should include the Fender Jazz Bass Special, which was really a P body with PJ pickup setup and my favorite: black headstock with black tuners... mmm... mmm...

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I voted for Hamer. Nothing says more 80's than hair metal with tiger stripe guitars, baby! :p

20. I actually own one of those Fender jazz specials...it's a fretless..it was pearl white but I recently had it painted with PPG harliquin..so now it changes color...and all the black hardware is now gold..had the finger board sanded and epoxied(roundwounds tear it up)..and it is equipped with EMG's...talk about cliche ;)