ultimate BASS compositions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by soundofphysics, Aug 31, 2000.

1. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    what do u think makes the ultimate all around bass compostion, and what would you name as yours. What does it for me is texture and variety. Though i wouldn't call it the best track he's ever laid down, slang by god... i mean jaco has so much richness in it, its got catchy hooks, creamy solos, lots of power, it changes conceptually within the song like three times, has meoldy, harmony, some simple, but ROCKIN' intervals, that distorted part that is punishing in such a pleasant way, even a quoted hendrix lick from "third stone from the sun" (one of hte true beauties of jazz is how you can borrow and make something yours, while the lsitener still understands it was taken fromm elsewhere so its not liek stealing) its not the hardest jaco song to imitate but perhaps the hardest to duplicate. For crying out loud hte man even makes use of technology during the "chrous" of the song by using a live sampling device to play his own backing chords.

waht you guys think, like i said it may not be the best jaco song, but compositioanlly its such a masterpeice, and definitly in my top 5 jaco songs list.

2. Yeah, I remember the first time I heard that,I was playing the tape in my car stereo, and I almost drove off the road!!!I'll agree that it was not exactly one of his best, but definitely an interesting piece of work.I like a bass solo, that is played musically, with nuances and dynamics
    and proper phrasing that makes it almost a composition within a composition,Doesn't have to be 128 notes a second, just well concieved,i.e Some of jeff Berlin's work on the Crossroads album, or Stanley's solos on Born in the USA,or
    any of the return to Forever live stuff, or of course The
    Man's work on the Invitation album.
  3. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    exactly, all though some fast playing is simply remarkable, to often a lot of people forget it isn't a race out there (but even if it were, jaco would win anyways, lol)

4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    the album double nickels on the dime by the minutemen has the best bass on it ive ever heard, mike watts solo albums are also extremely impressive