1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ultimate distortion is MINE!!! TONEBONE!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I went to Washington Music Center today to see what I could find in the way of distortion/overdrive for a new rock project I'm working on. Knowing well how most bass overdrive units come off, I wasn't expecting much.

However, the helpful guy at the store showed me a few high end units--RustRide, Hughes+Kettner, etc. Then, with a grin, he brought over a Radial Tonebone Classic. "Isn't that for guitar?" I asked. "Yup" he said "I've sold five of them to bassists recently". Make that six.

I have never, ever heard better distortion for bass. There is little to no loss of low end, the gain from the real AX7 is NUTS--I couldn't get the drive knob past six, and what's more: there are about a zillion USEABLE distortions in this box--from fuzz to buzzsaw to power chord-type wall of sound.

I've owned a lot of gear over the years, but I tend not to write many reviews. I'll definitely put one up for this pup. If you have ANY means to do so, I STRONGLY recommend checking this thing out. It's AWESOME.

2. I tried the Bassbone and did not like it. It doesn't use a tube at all which isn't necessarily a terrible thing but it also has an incredibly loud pop which switching on or off.

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Not sure what to tell you about that--maybe that's something they have changed on the unit since then or perhaps there was a defect.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    The Bassbone is a whole different unit--from what I've read and understand, it's more like an A/B box with some extra controls that enables you to keep two basses plugged in and set the volume and EQ for each separately.

It's NOT/NOT a distortion unit.

5. Chronosx65x

Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Milwaukee,Wi.
    what did that pedal cost you in good ol' american money? :cool:

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I bet you could find a cheaper one on Ebay.

7. Chronosx65x

Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Milwaukee,Wi.
    im gonna look into that one, sounds like a nice one. probably all analog,im diggin it and i didnt even hear it yet,lol. thanx

8. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Yeah, ToneBone is pretty popular with the guitarist crowd. That and G2D. Oh baby, G2D. Sorry, having flashback of my guitar days.

No low end loss, you say?

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    uh oh. now I have to try one out :)

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Used this unit last night for about four hours and gave it a solid workout. I remain solidly behind this as the best bass distortion I've ever heard. Turns out that at high volumes I need to stay in the middle of the lo, middle, high crunch settings. At low volumes the high setting fine/fun and good for recording. Live, the thing just turns into a freight train.

The lows sound great to me--the pedal has a "low" control that boosts/cuts the distorted signal. When used sparingly, it rounds out the bottom nicely enough considering you're going for a grunge-ey sound.

11. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Finnaly somebody used one of these on Bass. Been hearing about how great they are in the geetar realm for a while, but don't have the cajones to drop the cash and test it in my rig, now well....I may just have to. I assume its pretty versitile, have you found that shaping a tone do-able, not a one trick pony I hope.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've been pleased with the number of useable tones in the box. If I had to describe it, I'd say that I've found a tone shaping setting that sounds good to my ear and I've left it there. What I've tweaked most is the level, drive, and the all-important lo-med-hi overdrive switch...the tone has stayed nice and fat, with the overdrive levels almost infinitely variable.

13. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Outstanding! I just may get one of these babies instead of the Fulltone Bassdrive (oops did I say that out loud?)

Besides I get a say in the guitar tone of the "band" I'm in so the more toys I got the better.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Dr. Phunky Pants,

What other dist/overdrives have you used to compare it to? What type of bass/rig are you using?

~S~

15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    My favorite distortion is still my sunn 1200s amp's blendable tube gain channel :hyper: But, I have tried this pedal and it worked nicely and was very tweekable. I probably would've considered buying it at the time if I had the cash.

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    You name it. I'd say I've tried just about all the major bass distortion pedals with the exception of the Fulltone.

I'm currently running a Sterling--TONEBONE--Bass Driver DI--Ampeg SVP-CL--Stewart 2.1--Avatar B210 and B212.

17. Have you tried a Prescription Electronics Depth Charge?
    My absolute favourite pedal and I've tried Fulltone Bassdrive, SansAmp BDDI, ODB-3, Big Muff, Prunes & Custard, Bassbone and some others I can't remember.

18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    .....links?

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    www.fuzzbox.com

pedalgeek.com carries them
    edit:spelling

20. www.fuzzbox.com (spelled right)

Funny thing is mine has an extra switch to engage/disengage the blend control and it actually broke so that the blend was always 100%. I took the switch out of the circuit and it's fine now, blend control works properly. I don't know why you'd want that switch in the first place.