Ultimate Ear training/lesson thingy?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sn0wblind, May 18, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Has any body tried that Ultimate Ear training thingy that I see in every guitar mag???? does it really work??? is it worth it????? any opinion would help.
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have not tried it. Although, if I'm recalling correctly what you're referring to, I am quite skeptical of ads that promote something like "Learn to have perfect pitch in 11 hours" or "Lose 110 lbs. in 6 hours while eating only pizza!"

Problem is, ear development takes time. I have a friend who truly has perfect pitch. He'll name any pitch at any time; the pitches in a car's horn, the bell that rings on the subway, etc. Point is, a lot of what he has is natural, and I'm quite envious, but, he still had to develop it through years as a musician. You can't learn perfect pitch overnight. There are certainly things you can do to make the process quicker, more intensive.

I think activebass.com has a good ear training tool. Other than that, independent work at your bass, or a piano, or any other instrument, for other timbres, is helpful. As far as this individual ad you're talking about, maybe it is worth it, I don't know it, so I can't objectively say. What I do know is to be weary of "get perfect pitch quick" schemes.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I seem to recall several years ago Jeff Berlin wrote an article in bass Player poo pooing such programs.
    Why don't you ask his opinion in the "Ask the Pros" column? I'm sure he would be glad to tell you what he thinks.
  4. I bought that stuff more than a year ago.. haven´t listened to more than 2 cassettes... I always gave up... ;) guess I wasn´t ambitious enough... but I think it works after a while.. at least it made sense what was being said on those cassettes.. :)

I hope I will give myself some time to do it this summer or next winter...