Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultimate Epifani Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Aug 25, 2004.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have always loved the T-110UL with the T-112, and I have always loved Epifani cabs with a lot of headroom on hand. But, until I powered a double T-110UL/T-112 stack with a PLX 3002, I didn't know how good the Epifani sound could be!

[​IMG]

This rig just sounded stupendously good! It was much more of an improvement over just one T-110UL/T-112 stack (and over a T-110UL/T-112/T-112 stack) than I had anticipated. Highly recommended. :hyper::bassist:

2. Just wondering if you tried them right side up if you know what I mean? I've tried my Bergs on the sides and found that they sound quite different and prefer them handle up stacked. I often thought about a double Bergie mini stack too. yikes.

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, I have tried them stacked the "regular" way, and it seems to give me more low end, but is not quite as clear. I'm sure that having the tweeters higher up has something to do with this. The real reason for wanting the cabs on their side was to get my rack up a bit higher for easier tweaking and to get the cabs a little closer to ear level.

Tom.

4. Looks awesome! The Gramma is very useful for setups like that. Bet that would be a great rig for big outside event... very cool.
    edit: I just noticed it looks like you were under a tent outside thing...

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, the Gramma is a very versatile and useful product. This gig was, indeed, outside under a huge tent (80' by 100'). Huge private party.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Man Tom,

You're a real cab-slut... Who can keep up?

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own two Epi T-112s and two Berg HT112s, all I need now is the rack and I'm in business :D

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That would sound great!

9. I'm two thirds there with the Bergs and my rack rig. :eek:

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That rig is making me feel very, very tingly inside. I'm currently saving to replace my Eden head with a Kern preamp and a QSC PLX of undetermined size, and run that through my Epifani 410. I've never been able to put a really hot output through my Epifani, so I can't wait to have that kind of power available to me.

Very, very nice rig.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah...So?

He's pretty much my kind of gear ho, I know that.

If I could just win the lottery, I might be able to keep up with him.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, you'll probably notice that the only time a person throws the word "slut" out there, is because that persons jealous of the action they're getting... This is no exception...

I just see him pimping Epi one week, then Bergs, then LDS's, now Schroeders... Oh, the humanity! :bassist:

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    From what I have found, when you give Epi cabs a whole boatload of headroom (which the PLX series amps will give you), they become much more tight and quick, and the low end goes from a little on the rumbley side to a much more focused seismic event. :bassist:

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm totally out of control. I admit it. In truth, I really kind of wish I had more control. But, as it is I am very excited about the state of the bass gear industry right now, and I want to experince it all. To the extent possible, I try to share my thoughts with other bass players and describe what I am able to experience as well as possible.

Then, of course, once I hear something really cool, I don't want to let it go! Some of this stuff is getting hard to find (like VL-208's), or may in the future be hard to find (like WW Ultra's), that it's hard to let go. Or, of course, when I score a really good deal on something, I tend to want to hang onto it, too. But dear Lord, I have way more gear than I will ever need!

I should let you know, though, that I did manage to sell four of my cabs here fairly recently, so I am showing some signs of hope! But then again, I bought six more...:eek:

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Control, Shomol...I just wish you were my next door neighbor.
    I'd be egging you on...and trying to mooch as much as possible.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :D That's only funny because it's true. That made me laugh out loud!

17. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I hate you tom...so much... :scowl:

:D

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe...

ya know what would REALLY complete that setup? a pair of 1x15's! :p

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just got to use an epi 210UL, and a 112UL with
    a Woods Ultra and iamp 500. HUGE!! The 210 is
    rated at 500 watts rms. Nick feels the 210 is a
    better match with the 112 at higher volumes.
    I think he's right. Shaking the house loud! The
    best part is walking in with the amp and bass
    over one shoulder, and one box in each hand.
    30 and 37 lbs. Very expensive rig, but small
    light and loud.
    Tom, i can't even imagine how nice that rig has
    to sound. Bravo!