Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultimate flatwound pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Usul, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Is there such a thing? Or just go with the vintage/reissue pup?

I Would like to make my dedicated flatwound/vintage sound bass sound as period as possible but not for a lot of $$(got the bass for cheap w/ trade in).I dig the old school sound I get w/ flats and I am just wondering if I could do anything to improve/clarify the sound.Hell,would it be better to build/have built a cheap bass for what I want? Just checking....

Ich bedanke mich bei Euch!
    JMX wo bleibst Du eigentlich? LOL
    :d

2. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    This is a great question for me because I recently put together a Frankenbass PJ with a swamp ash body and maple/br neck from warmoth. I used a Fender P 62 reissue pickup for the p, and I have a leftover Japanese J that I used for the J. I had discarded the J because it wasn't fat enough on the MIJ Jazz I have. I use TI Flats.

This bass smokes. It is the most musical bass I have ever owned and I own 7 Fenders now. This also turned out to be one of my cheapest. The 62 P pup sounds great, but for some reason the Japanese J bridge pup really sings. I usually set it full up with the P at about 3/4's. I also crank the bass on the head. It's warm and fat, but it's also very present with a beautiful midrange that sings.

So in short, I think it's worth trying some oddball pups with flats, because what doesn't work for rounds, might work very well with flats, which are really very different tonally than rounds.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    For flats, I like the Seymour Duncan SPB-2 a lot, if your talking about a P-type pickup. Thick sound, but not boomy (assuming you EQ it to the room). Good definition, and nice, smooth upper mids. My experience is mostly with Fender 9050 flats with this one. The stock MIA Fender pup works well, too.