Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultimate garage band amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Atomic47, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Atomic47

Atomic47

Feb 15, 2003
    I've done the searches, but i still can't find decent opinions on a 100w combo amp. Anyways, i need a decent 100w or so amp to play with friends and to just mess around. My choices now are the SWR LA15 and the Behringer Bx1200. The SWR is going for $300 and the Behringer is going for $250. Everyone is recommending Peavey TNT, but for $460 it just doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Besides, do I really need 200w to jam with friends? I was also looking at Crates ( I have one as a guitar amp, and i think is decent) but as for thier bass amps go, the overall opinion is that they have a horrible tone and lack in build quality. Anyways, I just need an amp to play around, no gigging, but maybe a drunken set here and there at small parties to have fun. Who can set me strait on my choices?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I played a smaller SWR LA series and it sounded very nice; I'm sure the 15 is a nice rig. You might also consider the Ampeg B-100R. The Peavey's would seem more affordable (as would they all) as a used purchase.

There is a very fine line between playing with friends, playing parties, and playing shows for money. You might as well have a rig that will get the job done. The Peavey is popular because it gets loud; I'd say the LA and B-100r are popular for tone but they have different tones.

3. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    I would reccommend getting the Peavey, especially if you are going to be playing with a drummer.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I recommend looking for a 2nd hand SWR WorkingMan 12.

5. blackbass

blackbass Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    I personally own a Harke 1415 and it works and sounds great.

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Fender BXR100 combo. 1x15, 100 watts. It is really great. Tons of volume, and great tone, and it handles a low-b prety well. The 7 band EQ is great to have, and it has a line out so you can plug into a PA (if you ever go past garage band ;)) It can hold it's own against 2 guitars and a drummer.

[​IMG]

7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i know many will disagree, but give crates a serious look. i have a crate BX-100, and i love it. i have found no problems with it, it has a tone i really like, no construction problems, kinda loud, nice EQ. also, it has a line out, and it says you can plug a speaker cab into it(never tried.... yet). if nothing else, at least give it a try, i love it, and i'ts not too expensive either.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    get an Ashdown. Great tone... the Electric Blue combos usually go around $300 new. I picked up a Mag series combo for $317 barely used

[​IMG]
    200watt 1x12... I'm thinking of getting a Bergantino 112 to add to it

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I second that, assuming you can get a good deal on Ebay and you know how to fix its reoccuring input jack problem.

10. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    crate=bleh, i know i'm not that experienced , but i know that most crates i play are crap, even there "nicer" cabinets. I used one for my school bass stuff and this was only 2 years old, and it sucked. My teacher could'nt stand it much either so he brought in his 10 year old peavey:D little better quality IMO.

11. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    heh sorry i just realized that another person just quoted him.

12. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    good idea

13. I would highly recommend the Ampeg B100R. Bass Player did a shootout and everyone loved it. The SWR's are good,as are alot of the others,but the Ampeg has a ton of classic tone,is reliable and looks cool as hell. I would think that it would easily kick ass on the Crate and Peavey. And I would pick it's tone over the SWR... JMO...

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I second that. All in favor?

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    In terms of tone the Ampeg probably would (although this is very subjective). But in terms of reliability its pretty hard to beat Peavey.

16. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, quoted twice, my lucky day:D . i didn't know they had input jack problems, but i guess i was just lucky. i've only had mine for half a year too, so maybe the problems will come, but in that time, my crate has served me well. then again, you should play through many amps, and see what you like.

17. try a Yorkville combo. I'm pretty happy with mine:
    It's cheap, small and has enough power (Yorkville bm200; 200 watts)

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  19. Ampeg B100R
    Fender BXR100
    Hartke 1415, 2115
    Peavey TKO or TNT
    SWR WM 12, WM15

As long as your drummer and guitarist aren't volume maniacs (who the hell am I kidding) any of these should provide enough volume and serve you well for years.

Note -
    1) Try before you buy, better yet - borrow and use in your garage if you can. There is no substitute for a test drive, and only you will be able to decide which has the right sound for you.
    2) If buying used (you will get more for your money) only do so if you can try it out first. Also, see if there is a local repair facility for the amp you are interested in. Nothing is damage-proof.

Good luck...
    :bassist: