1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ultimate guide to singing book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Zephrant, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Zephrant

Zephrant

Dec 10, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Anyone buy / read this book from TC-Helicon? Worth the money, or are there other books that I should consider?

Basically need an intro to singing book, that can teach new people the basics (as well as any book can).

I have a vocal coach lined up, but wanted to do some research so I could better understand the instruction, and possibly save lesson time.

2. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Oct 28, 2012
    I never used books, but I found the following to be immensely helpful:

• Solfege (movable Do).
    • Sing in a choir.
    • Lift that soft palette and lower that larynx; practice this by yawning.
    • Put the sound at the front of your mouth.
    • Practice hitting pitches spot on (portamento is a no-no).
    • Onsets.
    • Apoggio.
    • Vowels, vowels, vowels.
    • Overtone singing (helps with vowels, surprisigly).
    • Sing from your core, engage the diaphragm, and realize that your back has more to do with it than you might think.
    • Mint tea and exercise.
    A private teacher who knows what they're doing will be immensely helpful. You want to learn [proper] technique, not repertoire. Consider getting a classical teacher of the same gender (though I've had both male and female voice instructors, who were all equally awesome), and go in knowing that they're going to have to put their hands on you to correct posture, breathing, tension, and a million other technical issues. I wish I had taken the chance to do Alexander Technique. If you can find a voice teacher who also does AT, jump for it.

3. Zephrant

Zephrant

Dec 10, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Thanks Bainbridge- more information than I can digest yet. But I bet it will become more clear as I study.

I went ahead and ordered the book. I'll post again after I read it.

My vocal coach-to-be is a lead singer in my band. I'm reluctant to admit how little I know, so want to study up as much as I can before we start.