Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ultimate horror story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toneman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I have a GK400RB head with a mesa boogie 115 cab.
    This cab has a PAS 400w rms woofer & foster horn. I was doing a show with a new band and in the middle of soul man playing at a moderate to loud volume the cab just shut down without warning not a peep. I checked my head & cables it's definatley the cab. It's under waranty I'll be curious to find out what happened.Totally ruined my night.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Was the amp distorting? You may have blown the speaker due to the amp clipping. :meh:

3. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    no clipping at all... infact my head has both preamp & power amp clipping lights. Thats what made it a horror it was sounding so sweet & just shut down. It was the first set good thing my head as a direct out so I went through the PA.But I'm very dissapointed in mesa boogie here I go & buy a quality cab & it couldn't even get me through the first set.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If PAS is consistant with their loudspeaker construction, pull the woofer out and look to see if the terminal didn't fall apart.

I once bought a used Goliath II that I thought had two blown speakers. I didn't care because it was $200 and in very good cosmetic shape.

Anyway, when I was pulling out one of the offending speakers, I noticed that the screw that held the terminal to the frame was loose. Turns out that the electrical connection between the terminal and the lead going to the voice coil also depended on the screw being tight. I tightened all the termial screws and had a perfectly working GII for cheap.

So...pull the woofer out and take a look. If it did self destruct, the screw is probably stuck to the magnet inside the basket.

Good luck!!!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, since it is still under warranty, this may not end up being the "ultimate" horror story.

-Mike