Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultimate Idiot's pickup repacement guide

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Any of you guys know where there's a guide that will explain pickup differences, installation notes & complications, and maybe give examples? maybe even give some rudimentary bass physics too? i knowits a lot to ask, but there must be a book or website with that kinda stuff

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    notduane, Thanks for the great pickup link! (kingbass.com) This answered some questions I've had for a while concerning replacement MM pickups.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    [​IMG] Here's some more from Stew-mac [​IMG] http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/

...yeah, I stole it from another thread :p .

5. nice worm ND. :D

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I'll take dos Fishmans ;) :p

My head hurtz :(

7. Well, those links are great, but I really already knew what a pickup was. All I wanted to know was how to fit them in my bass, like wiring instructions and diagrams, what the differences between active and passive was, the limitations on the pickups(like not putting active in a previously passive bass cos u then have to core out a hole for a 9v battery, etc.)

8. I realise that you're trying to be sarcastic, but why Yahoo? I don't even know what I'd be searching for.

9. So, I now know what a pickup is and how it generates a sound(which I kinda guessed from my Physics lessons and using the EMF theory and Fleming's Left Hand Rule), and what the differences between Active and Passive is, and how I would insert them into my bass. All I need to know no is how much a Seymour Duncan Passive P and Passive J cost, and where I can get them, cos I played an Aria Pro II passive with those exact pickups and it made me cream my pants. Also, it looks more impressive in the ad when I come to sell my bass: " 24-fret bass with custom Seymour Duncan pickups".