1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ultimate portable:I found it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fokof, Feb 29, 2008.

1. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.p...ttivo/1674/m1/0/ARTSeriesART310-A/product.htm

I should tell you what I look for for you to understand that statement;
    I already have and use a preamp that fits in my gig bag's pocket (TD100)
    I do a lot of small gigs where we don't need to be loud and also gigs where there is a PA.
    I always rely on the PA for the under 60Hz.
    On stage ,if I hear the pitch , I'm a happy camper.
    A good thread on that subject;
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397577

Back to that amp;
    It's 350 watts and 27 pounds
    Smaller than the MB CMD121P , a lot more powerfull than the Minimark.

It has a lot of bass for a single 10".
    Of course it won't give you the low B of a dual 18" but the point is transportability , in that field , it's a champion.

If you have an audio shop that has RCF product , rent one for a gig....:smug:

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    RCF makes excellent high end speakers. I used to use a 3 way cabinet with a 15", a 10" and a horn--all RCF components. Great full range sound. RCF has been around a long time. They got bought by Mackie a few years back. Yorkville Sound used to use RCF speakers in their top of the line Elite PA series, until the buy out. Then suddenly--no more RCF for Yorkville.

That RCF you have blows away the JBL that it's modeled after.

3. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Mackie sold RCF four years ago....
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5264/is_200403/ai_n20418987

Sound is a lot better than JBL or even my Mackie. I also use a SRM450.
    It's really not like the EON series . You can put those at 45° like a real wedge AND you can put the horn on either side , something I can't do with my Mackie.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Crossover at 1.8 K Hz - likely has a nicely integrated compression driver/horn then. Do you mainly play with a clean tone? I've heard a lot of people condemn tweeters entirely for bad tone, but my experience is that if they are quality and crossed over low enough to match well with the woofer's response that it's not an issue for those who like extended clean tone.

Curious also if you use any overdrive or distortion occasionally.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hmmm... a bit of a derail, but I'm imagining their 312A
    [​IMG]
    ...pole-mounted on their 705AS
    [​IMG]
    They each have onboard EQ, with a remote control, so it would be an interesting competitor to the IP cabs!

....Grrr, just discovered they are in Italy... probably bad news for US customer from a price perspective...

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Bongomania,

There are a fair number of active PA pole-mount mains and subs around. Yorkville ferinstance has some great active neo 12 two-ways, and active neo subwoofers.

Years back I did essentially the same thing for a few gigs, using a passive Peavey Impulse 1210 pole-mounted on a custom subwoofer, biamped at 150 Hz. Sounded incredible, but after a couple of small stages needed a place to put the racked amp and preamp, so left the sawed-off pole at home and placed the rack in between the two cabs.

Unfortunately none of the smaller PA mains alone really can dish it out the way I like it with a low B/A without hitting the xmax wall...

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Every bass player should walk over to the PA/Sound-Reinforcement part of the store and try out the cabinets they have. There are some truly great sounding, reliable cabinets. And since they're produced at higher volumes than bass gear you generally get more for the money.

8. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Just had another gig yesterday , man this thing is amazing !!!!

Bongomania ;
    I paid 629 USD shipping included , I bought it there ;
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Here in Montreal , it was 780 CAD , with the dollar amost at par , I saved 200......
    The MINIMARK is 1100 over here , so I can have two 310a for the price of a MM.....

I also have a EV SA180a , it's a700w 18" sub .
    I tried it once with my SRM450 , ........ sweet ........:D
    But very far from portable. was a big outside gig.....

I thought very hard about the 312a , but my top parameter was transportability. When I'll have the budget , I'll upgrade my Mackie srm450 to a RCF 312a

Greenboy;
    I use Guitar Rig live with a couple of patches of "overdrive" , nothing Heavy though. When I do my patches , I do them with a full range reference in front of me.
    I always practice in front of my computer and the 310 sound very close.
    I have JBL LSR 28P at home as a reference.

Seamonkey;
    I'm used to play on PA type of amp. Can't play on a "real" bass amp anymore.....

9. Maladroit1

Maladroit1

Jul 7, 2004
    St. Louis
    cool thread. I have been looking at all of my options in regard to getting more portable and was thinking about trying something like this.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Thump15/

I would run into it with a Sansamp BDDI. I only play 4 string electric basses but I also play Upright. Do you think it would pack enough punch on the low end? It's so cheap I may just order one in to try it.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The big difference between the Tapco and RFC is right here:
    http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.phtml/sLang/EN/IDMacro/3634/ARTSpecsheetsSchedeTecniche/
    You can actually get the full specs for the RFC. Charts, on/off axis, .... it's all there.
    You know it is pro sound level cabinet if it actually has published specs and measurements.

In either case make sure you buy from someplace that lets you try it for a while so you know how it behaves in real life.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    On the cheap, Behringer has a nice 15" bi-amp lightweight cab that tilts back for $499. I know people around here hate them, but they seem to be coming around and offering higher priced gear that is still cheaper than some of the other solutions out there.

I think that I could see myself getting a monitor (not behringer necessarily) for at church where we currently have a lack of monitors for the bass player. But this will change in our new building sometime in the next 3-4 months.

And as far as sound, i've been most impressed with QSC's offerings. Their 12" powered speaker has a 90 degree conical horn which would be better than a 90 x 60 horn for my use.

12. Maladroit1

Maladroit1

Jul 7, 2004
    St. Louis
    I think the Tapco is along the same lines as the Behringer but not quite as powerful (400 watts to the 600 watt Behringer) It also weighs only 36lbs where the Behringer is 74lbs.

13. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Instead , look for a Mackie SRM450.

Mackie has the SRM450 V2 out so the first generation should be cheaper.
    Probably alot of people are gonna sell the V1 to have the V2 , you should see alot of used one......

14. Maladroit1

Maladroit1

Jul 7, 2004
    St. Louis
    Those SM450s are nice but I was thinking about going with the tapco because...

1. It's a 15" instead of a 12.
    2. It's made by Mackie anyway!

:bassist:

15. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Like seamonkey said , try it before buying it.

Sometimes with lesser quality product , it'll sound OK in the store but after a couple of gigs , you'll be disapointed.

But if you compare with bass amps , you get a lot more for the money with power & weight.

I also play URB with those and if you have equal sound coming out of your bass , it won't be a problem at low/med volume.
    At higher volumes you may need a full parametric EQ.
    That is also true with a "normal" bass amp........

16. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Speaker size doesn't say all
    If you check the spec of the TAPCO , it's 50hz-18.5khz at -3db
    so probably around 55/60- 18khz at 0db
    http://www.tapcoworld.com/pdf/TH15A_SS.pdf

My 10"rcf is 50-20k , a better overall response than the 15" TAPCO
    http://www.rcfaudio.com/download.phtml?id=2185

Ask any girl , size isn't all.....:smug::D

17. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    +1 Totally agree

18. Maladroit1

Maladroit1

Jul 7, 2004
    St. Louis
  19. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
  20. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I'll give you that and concede that the GK is a nice little amp
    BUT
    It is far from "full range", tends to rattle when turned up loud (at least the old ones did) and imho sounded kinda "boxy" when cranked.