Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultimate rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Jul 13, 2005.

1. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    After a heavy bout of GAS I have now made a shopping list for what I consider my ultimate rig. It's going to cost a bit but I hope to complete by the end of the year.

Small/ Medium rig:

Acoustic Image Focus / Thunderfunk TFB550
    Schroeder 1212

Large rig:

Rack containing -
    Furman Power Conditioner
    Some Wireless system (unsure which to get as yet)
    Korg tuner (already have)
    Glockenklang Bass Art Preamp
    DBX compressor
    Rane Parametric EQ
    QSC RMX 1450 (only coz I have it already. A bigger PLX will be on its way at some point).
    Accugroove El Whappo

What are your thoughts?

Mark

2. If you get the TF and the 1212, you probably wouldn't need the large rig!

3. Good god you live in England that is going to cost an absolute fortune!

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You dont need a power conditioner in the UK. Our supply is stable enough.

5. I think that if you find your ideal tone with one of those rigs, you'll be searching for the same tone (futile) in the other. I would really hate to think that with a Glock pre, you need the compressor and parametric EQ. I would suggest finding one amp that you love (or a pre/power combo) and get two Schroeder 1212's...which might sound better than one El Whappo...and just bring one to your small gigs. Pare down your rack rig to just a pre/power and maybe a wireless, and you will have a kickass rig for any occasion.

6. Or if you NEED more power why not take a lineout from the thunderfunk and run it through your current QSC into another cab.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no lightning?
    no shoddy pub with a faulty neon sign, air conditioner, fridge, etc?
    no mis wired PA browning out the room before popping a fuse?

None of the power supply around me is 'unstable' either but there are plenty of reasons for protection on ANY piece of electrical gear IMHO.