1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ultra basic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lexington125, Oct 2, 2013.

1. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    Over 30+ years, I haven't found any amps that sound nicer or are as simple and basic (as far as controls, features, etc.) as an SB-12 (see image)

Volume, bass and treble; 2 inputs, power switch. That's it. In a perfect world, a normal speaker output, and a standby switch would be nice.

I'm looking for a very basic tube bass amp for rehearsal and small bar gigs. A well used (and cheap) SB-12 would be cool, but they don't turn up at garage sales like they used to; I'd say that there are very few remaining to be found.

What other amp heads have been made over the past several decades that are as straightforward and simple as the SB-12? (simple from a user's perspective - I'm not qualified to say whether the amp circuitry is also 'basic'.) Even the earliest fender bassman heads had two channels, which I consider needless extra stuff. are there any similarly basic 40 to 100watt tube amp heads on the used market?

Prefer single channel, minimal EQ (no more than bass, mid & treble) no fx send/returns, graphic EQs, weird boost circuits, etc. something that would be inexpensive to obtain, simple to maintain, and not too expensive to have serviced. An amp that could drive a 1-15 cab (at 8 ohms) and, in the future, two 1-15s (at 4 ohms)

simple, rugged and capable of great sound (when returned to top shape) - suggestions???

Attached Files:

2. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    ashdown little bastard. 30 watts, all valve

3. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    the lil' bastard has a lot going for it, but as i'm looking for something as simple and stripped down as the SB-12, i could live without all of those switches, the fx loop and that highly unnecessary (and ugly) 'vu' meter.

but it is very cool......... have they sold enough of these that they are showing up 2nd hand on Craigslist or other similar places?

4. TB classifieds even. The big online stores sell them at big discount now and again.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    How bad are you hurting for this? there's no reason to believe you couldn't have exactly what you're after built for you. It wouldn't cost like a used one at a garage sale, but it wouldn't break the bank, either. sure it wouldn't be "the one" you seek, but the circuit should be easy enough to find. from there it's just finding the right shop and talking to them. being in LA helps you a lot, too-- there are only two places to go where i'm at, i'd bet you have dozens.

6. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    And finances might just allow that option after the first of the year. but until then, I want to explore the 2nd hand options and I'm still interested in learning what others think regarding the most basic, straight ahead tube bass amp circuit in any widely available amp over the last 40 or 50 years? The 3 knob SB12 gets my vote, but I doubt that I will ever find another; so I'm looking for ideas on other super simple bass amp designs for small gig use. [small, simple tube head and fancy new lightweight single driver cabinet as my new 'go to' rig] Was there ever a single channel Bassman? Or is the B25b head the closest thing to what I'm looking for? Match it with a 1-15 Compact or Bassic and I've got the best of old and new. And its sized right for urban musicians who actually take taxis to some gigs.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Carlsbro 50 and 100 TOP. volume, bass, mid and treble. Also a standby and power. Decent Partridge transformers in the too. Definitely amps I keep an eye out for.

8. Must be some small taxis in your parts to be all that concerned.

There's always that project group, forget the name, rhymes with 12AX7, with S in it.

or the Weber kits.

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    DSCF1679_zpscb64a4d7.

10. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    Must be some small taxis in your parts to be all that concerned.

sort of off topic, but if it matters, I take cabs just about every day for one reason or another, and almost every cab in our area has switched to the new smaller, hatchback version of the Prius. The last of the old Crown Vics disappeared last year, and the handful of vans / minivans only show up on special order. A 1-15 cab and one passenger (with Fender bass and small head) is more than enough to overload the new smaller Prius

I miss the Checkers of my youth in NYC..