Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultra Jazz 5 wireing question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Aug 18, 2004.

1. I have Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5's on my fender jazz. I want to know if my pots are good or not. I have a 500k master volume, 500k balance pot, and a 250k (stock) tone pot. is this recomended? what do you guys recomend for a kind of fendery tone. I liked my old MIM pickups tone... but the hum was killing me and i wanted more output desperatly.

also, does the way i have wired it have anything to do with the tone? (like if i had it v/v/t would i get a significantly diffrent tone?)

thanks!!!!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure from this is you're happy with the sound or not.

If you wanted a warmer tone, use 250K pots. 500k pots let more highs through. The 'rule' bandied about it 250K for single coils, but 500K for humbuckers - but there's no 'right' answer, just what you prefer.

One thing, I wouldn't say that the UJ's are a vintage tone.

3. thanks alot!, would 250k's have less output? and also, would my MIM pickups be considered a vinage tone?
    thanks for the reply!

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, the 250K pots would not have less output. They would have less highs. As for your MIM's, I've never tried them so I can't say.
    I don't know whether they're good single coils or bad single coils.

5. thanks alot!!!!