Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultra jazz output question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groovecenter, May 8, 2004.

1. I have dimarzio ultra jazz fives in my warmoth custom. The only way to avoid string pull and the consequential unwanted overtones on my E and B strings is to have the pickups decently far away from the strings ( about 1/2 " on the B side for the neck pickup and a little under that for the bridge pickup).

The output on this bass, also equipped with an aguilar OBP-3 is very low, in fact my passive fender jazz four string blows it away output wise. The pickups on the jazz are way closer to the strings.

Is this normal for ultra jazz pickups? (low output yet strong string pull on the B) If I raise my pickups the B string starts getting wierd overtones.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

Haven't had a set of Ultra jazz but sounds wierd to me. 1/2" is a long way from pup to string. You might punch in "Dimarzio ultra jazz review" into a general online search and read them and see if they're any parallels. But I think it's possible the Aggie may not put out much punch. Usually I raise my pups as high as they'll go without me driving the strings into them - usually an 1/8" or less. On rare occasion I've had to drop them due to distortion - like high output Duncans maybe. I'm talking about passive pups - EMGs excepted.

Also, (which I assume you know) the Aggies boost cut, so if less than the detent, you're actually cutting the signal.

Personally, I'd wire one of the pups direct to the jack and see if there's a difference in output. If so, you know the source is between the pup and the jack.

You might try a thread under the strings forum also. I would think different string materials/design may allow you to get your strings closer if that appears to be in order.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't know if you've arrived at a solution yet but checked my thoughts out on the Aggie and the output seems fine. Seems I noticed the Aggie being considerably less output than a Bart NTMB but checked them both out since and output is parallel enough. I recalled comparing the Bart NTBT and OBP-1 when I had them and the NTBT outperformed the Aggie by a longshot in every respect - including volume. That was with the Aggie wired 9v.

You might email Dimarzio as well. Some manufacturers are good about response, some not. But I ran a Dimarzio DP 126 recently and it definitely had some serious pull on the strings. String to pup spacing was an 1/8" or less but even at that, I only ran into a problem with them a few times when I was using the A string as a thumb rest - and drove it into the pole. Had no problem in that regard otherwise.

4. Thanks for the responses Luk, I woulda responded sooner but I was having computer problems. Dimarzio recomended trying 1/4 in from the pickups, so I'll try that and see what happens and post back later.