Ultra Jazz pickup height experiment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I'm still trying to get my Moon JB5 to give me that Marcus Miller sound just like my 74 Fender/Sadowsky Jazz.I'm getting closer.I swapped out the OBP3 for an OBP1 and reinstalled the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz which I had temporarily replaced with Basslines humbuckers.The Basslines were too bright and thin sounding and the OBP3 had too high of a treble frequency center and a useless midrange.
    Now I'm pretty happy.
    Here's an experiment I did.I plugged both basses into my recording mixer and adjusted the pickup height of both pickups on the Moon bass individually until both basses sounded as close as possible in output and tonal characteristics.
    I ended up with a setting I would normally not have chosen.The DiMarzios ended up about 4/32" on the bridge and neck pickup(on the B string) with the 21st fret depressed.I used to set it much closer before.Are Ultras more sensitive and don't need to be as close to the string as other Jazz Bass pickups? :hyper: :hyper:
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Seems both dimarzio and SD list their outputs and I know Dimarzio has their little rough frequency grapsh and SD has center frequences listed it seems. Anyway, you can probably get some feel from that.

As for the height, volume and bass will drop with dropping the pups away from the strings. You can also get distortion and/or noticeable thinning of tone on some pups if they're too high.

If all you did was alter pup height without altering pup mix or tone controls to get them close, I would be suprised you'd be able to get them on a parallel plain since that's not much to work with.

I don't know which basslines you used but your experience and statement imply the basslines didn't have the low end output of the Ultra's. My experience with the Utlra's was they were more your like description of the Basslines. But different variables will affect pups that way.

Were both of them ran in parallel or both in series cause it sounds like the basslines may have been ran parallel with the Ultra's ran series?
  3. Don't know.I had a repairshop do it for me.They sounded like Jazz Basses normally sound,nothing weird like out of phase or anything like that.except the Ultras seem to sound fuller than the Basslines especially with the new preamp.Not as thin on the top.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

you might ask the guy next opportunity. I'm guessing he wired them the same but there's a half dozen different passive bassline J pups. To my knowledge, none of them are low output though.

The connection has nothing to do with a phase relationship but with path of resistance. Same relationship resistance wise as hooking up speakers. The resulting output for parallel will be thinner, brighter, clearer, poorer signal to noise ratio, with about 1/4 the output while series will be thicker, more bass, less highs, better signal to noise ratio, and about 4 times the output. Most J's are between about 7.5 and 12K.

That's why I suspect the different wiring cause I doubt there's that much difference in the dc resistance of the pups.

Parallel is the standard default connection for J tone. Personally, I prefer series.