1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ultra Jazz, Quarter Pounds, etc

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I've two 1990's era Hamer Cruise Basses, a J style bass that came stock with Seymour Duncan SJB-1 Vintage pups. One has the 2-Tek bridge, the other has a Gotoh bridge, but both have a similar intense attack and punch.

I put Pyramid Gold flats on one of them, those strings have a emphasized attack or thunk, with a hollow fundamental tone, approaching a sort of Tic-Tac bass tone that I really like! (I just learned yesterday that the specific vintage type of tone I was looking for is indeed called Tic Tac, but I really can't look at getting a Fender VI or Danelectro.)

I did read that the Pyramid Gold flats are a very low output string, and I have found that to be true. Veeeery loooooow output. I was looking at adding some hotter pups, wondered if the SD SJB-3 Quarter Pounds might be worth the effort? Looks like they are quite overwound, hot. Another choice is the popular Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, more scooped, but with more output than their Model J pups.

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!

2. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I have the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz on my passive 2TEK Cruisebass.

I use TI Jazz Flats but I don't know how they compare to your Pyramid Golds; someone else can probably help with that.

Very good output. Exceptionally powerful and clear tones on the low E string, and low noise. I like this setup.