Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultra Jazz w/J-Retro. Do I need 500k pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Dec 24, 2005.

1. I just installed a J-Retro pre and a pair of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. The tone seems a but muffled on the top and I'm wondering since the Ultra's are humbuckers, do I need 500K pots? I am assuming the J Retro pots are 250K. If so, can I install a cap or make any other mods?

Thanks,
    T Jay

2. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Only to state the obvious, but do you have it switched on? The reason that I ask, is that I have that exact combination in my MIM Jazz fretless, and it is anything but muffled. Every now and then it will get bumped and switched off. But as I always leave the switch on, it sometimes takes a second to remember to check it. Sometimes it's the little things that make you crazy ;)

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the jretro pots are custom, I don't think you can replace them easily.

having said that, I've never found the jretro to be particularly muffled sounding. Sometimes people forget that the boost control is boost only, so they keep it in the 'middle' position and think that's flat eq.

Did you change pickups and preamp at same time? I often find it's more useful to only change one thing at a time, so I can isolate any issues.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Mr. East has the pots custom made by ALPS.

5. "Sometimes people forget that the boost control is boost only, so they keep it in the 'middle' position and think that's flat eq".

By boost control do you mean the treble knob?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry, I mistyped. I meant the bass eq.
    In 'center', it's actually boosted 50%. With the treble, in center it's flat.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The question of 250k vs 500k only makes sense with a passive bass. It has nothing to do with the pots used in an active circuit like the J-Retro. I also agree that something else might be happening because I can't think of a way to make the J-Retro sound muffled. If anything most folks who don't like that unit are down on the clarity and neutral-ness. They usually end up with a more scoopy pre like the Aggie.

You could have other problems. One: Double check that you got the polarity right when the pickups were wired to the J-Retro, and that you have the UJs wired correctly. Two: if you have the passive tone option then make sure it is all the way ON (Clockwise).

8. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL

BIG +100 on that one. I also have the U-Retro Deluxe (with the passive control) on my 55-01. If that passive knob gets turned, the active controls cannot overcome it, and it can get very muffled.