Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultra Jazz's V.S Model J's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fletch, Apr 14, 2005.

1. I recently bought a mim jazz with intentions to mod it. It really doesn't need any moding in my opinion but I want to have alittle fun and maybe learn a thing or two. So I ordered a set of model j's based on the positive reviews I've read but I was sent the Ultra's instead. I know I could send them back but hey they're here already and having no experience with either I'm not sure I should. what do ya think?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

IMHO, it really depends on what kind of sound you're after.

If you want more of a hi-fi kind of sound, I would stick to the Ultrajazz pickups.

If a nice, thick rock type of tone is what you want, I would go for the Model J's. (If you use flatwound strings, I would suggest Model J's too, but that is my experience :) )

What you could do is this;
    Email DiMarzio, and ask for the wiring diagram that will allow you to wire those ultrajazz pickups to push/pull volume pots. This will allow you to switch each pickup from series, to parallel operation. This will give you a lot of tonal options.

Hope that helps :hyper:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, beefbass nailed it.
    the Model J's have more of a thick low mid prominent sound. Great for rock. The Ultrajazz are a bit more hifi, more slap friendly - unfortunately also slightly scooped sounding at times to my ears.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what these guys said...

IMHO, the Model J's are great in any gig situation. those low mids really help punch thru a dense mix. the Ultra Jazz while a keeper in my parts swamp/maple jazz, can sometimes feel buried in louder situations. but it really shines in settings where you can appreciate the sound. gorgeous wide sweeping kinda tone. makes the Model J seem almost compressed to me.

5. Thanks for all the advice guys!
    Based on your comments, Smash's excellent sticky, and everything else I've read online, I'm going to return the Ultra's and get what I originally ordered. Kind of sucks cause the white pearl pickguard and push pull pot I ordered elsewhere came today and I wanted to get things up and running this weekend. Just placing the new guard on it has got me pretty pyched. I'm going for a poor man's 4 string version of the Sadowsky in this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168720 but it's blue agave with chrome/pearl dome knobs. Oh well good thing's come to those who wait. Guess I'll just have to settle for playing my Cirrus :)