1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ultra-J's or Quarter Pounders???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 10, 2005.

1. DiMarzio - Ultra Jazz

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Duncan Designs - Quarter Pounder

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. [NOTE: attempted posting this in the "pickups" forum, but no responses... I hardly ever get responses in there.]

I'm going to replace the pickups on my Peavey Millenium BXP in the near future, but am stuck in between which pickup I should choose.

I have narrowed it down to these two p'ups...

Duncan Designs Quarter Pounders
    &
    DiMarzio Ultra Jazz

Obviously, I'm looking for a modern and aggressive tone. So, which one should I spring for? Price is no issue, as they're both pretty even.

FYI, I plan on getting a SansAmp DI, so I'm not looking for anything fancy preamp-wise, or anything like that. Just need some kickin' passive J's to run through a V/V/T, then out the DI, then to a Yorkville XM200T, then to you ears!!!

Thanks in advance,
    ~Ryan

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I really like the Quarter Pounders, myself. Plus, those large poles are groovy as hell.

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    for me, i'd use the ultra-jazz... it's like a P wrapped up in a J package. i heard the quarter pounder though...

4. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I swapped stock pickups on my aerodyne p/j for quarterpounders.
    Since this dindn't get rid of the hum issue I had with the j pickup, I
    bought the ultra jazz (whick is stacked, so no hum).
    I must say that though I love the sound of the querterpound P,
    the querterpound j wasn't much to talk about, sort of thin and trebly.
    The ultra-jazz is a totally different animal - full and growly, I like alot :D