Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultra-J's or Quarter Pounders???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 10, 2005.

1. DiMarzio - Ultra Jazz

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Duncan Designs - Quarter Pounder

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. [NOTE: attempted posting this in the "pickups" forum, but no responses... I hardly ever get responses in there.]

I'm going to replace the pickups on my Peavey Millenium BXP in the near future, but am stuck in between which pickup I should choose.

I have narrowed it down to these two p'ups...

Duncan Designs Quarter Pounders
    &
    DiMarzio Ultra Jazz

Obviously, I'm looking for a modern and aggressive tone. So, which one should I spring for? Price is no issue, as they're both pretty even.

FYI, I plan on getting a SansAmp DI, so I'm not looking for anything fancy preamp-wise, or anything like that. Just need some kickin' passive J's to run through a V/V/T, then out the DI, then to a Yorkville XM200T, then to you ears!!!

Thanks in advance,
    ~Ryan

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I really like the Quarter Pounders, myself. Plus, those large poles are groovy as hell.

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    for me, i'd use the ultra-jazz... it's like a P wrapped up in a J package. i heard the quarter pounder though...

4. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I swapped stock pickups on my aerodyne p/j for quarterpounders.
    Since this dindn't get rid of the hum issue I had with the j pickup, I
    bought the ultra jazz (whick is stacked, so no hum).
    I must say that though I love the sound of the querterpound P,
    the querterpound j wasn't much to talk about, sort of thin and trebly.
    The ultra-jazz is a totally different animal - full and growly, I like alot :D