Ultra Light Epifani's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slaine01, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Is there any difference in the speaker ability of the older (heavier) Epifani speakers and the new Lighter ones?
    As I'm buying a Epifani 2x10 to use with my 5 string I want to know if the cabs work with my B string better with the older speakers or the new lighter ones? - or is there no difference?
    Also if the "lightness" is brought about the cab being made of lighter material how does this effect the ability of the cab to project lower frequencys tightly?
  2. There have been a number of threads recently about the UL's including a very good review by one of the TBers. A search will get them for you.

For what it's worth, I have tried the 1x10UL with my fretless 7 string with an Eden traveller head and it was very very good, no problems with the low B at all. It was even better when coupled with a 1x12 [not the UL version]

3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

worked fine with my Elrick 5 string. if you do a search, you'll find a very long thread commenting the differences between the regular 2x10, the ultralite 2x10, and even a prototype 2x10 with prototype Eminence Delta drivers Nick was toying with.

IMHO, for the rep and money the Epifani's command, i doubt Nick & Co. would release anything that would sound drastically different or perform subpar to what people expect of Epifani cabs.

e.g. tho there are PLENTY of lightweight Neodynium 12" speakers on the market, Nick isnt happy and wont release his ultralite 12" cabs, until the speakers sound just the way he wants them to.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Truth, Brother! I have this exact setup, and it does indeed rule. Mucho articulation, very full, balanced sound. A great mini rig.

When I bought this setup, I did also get to audition the T-210UL and the T-310. From what I could tell, the UL 10's have plenty of low end, and the T-210UL would handle a B-string pretty well. However, unless the 4 ohm total load would be an issue, I would suggest that you at least try out the T-110UL/T-112 combo. When I put these two together, I was shocked at how much better they sounded together compared to individually. The T-112 has much more power in the lows, but not as much high mids or artiulation as the T-110UL. They really complement each other well.

Thinking of single cabs only, I myself preferred the T-112 to the T-210UL. It had more overall clarity and tighter sounding lows, to my ears. The T-110UL, on the other hand, had more articulation and better high-mid detail than the T-210UL (again, to my ears).

That said, the T-210UL is also a great cab. Two of them would be killer!

Hope this helps more so than it muddies the waters...