1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ultra Low Tension strings. (Stainless Roundwound)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Asomodai, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Hey guys.

So i am a light gauge user. For the past 3 years i have been using status Hex core 30-110 stainless steel sets. I feel that i am losing out on tone somewhat due to the low gauge.

I recieved a MM Stingray that was strung with La Bella Deep Talkin 760FS flats (45-130), they were the absoloute dogs danglys, felt so smooth, and they had great great low tension. I need a set of stainless steel roundwounds that are bright and zingy, but with ultra low tension which are either 40-125 or 45-130. Wouldnt mind a smooth feeling on em either! But must have the roundwound sound!

Any ideas?

Rob :)

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    DR Hi-Beams are the first to come to mind for me. They're much lower tension than most other roundwounds, almost to the point of feeling rubbery.

3. A round core string will provide lower tension than a hex core. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a stainless steel string with a round core as the older string design is usually used with nickel strings. Also even with a round core the higher the gauge the higher the tension usually is.

4. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    As it happens Status graphite (Who make my current gauge strings) Also have a Roundcore version of the string.

Taking into account that obviously, the higher the gauge the higher the tension, i ordered some Status 40-125 SS Roundcores. Not as high of a gauge that i was after, but still a 1/4 thicker then my current usual sets.

if it doesant work out, i'll probably go for the DR's or some Pressure wounds.

Cheers!

5. Well the round core should definitely be lower tension than the hex core that you used previously. Let us know how it ends up!!

6. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    DR strings still uses round core, Fat beam, Hi Beam, Hi Beam flats, and their black beauty coated are stainless and have round core. The Sunbeams in Nickel use a round core as well.