Ultra Low!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EString, Nov 20, 2000.

1. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Hey Everyone,
    I was wondering if you could help me pick out a potential bass. Here are some of the basses I had in mind:

Fender American Vintage '62 Precision Bass
    Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass
    Fender Hot Rodded Precision Bass

Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray

Modulus VJ Bass with optional Aguilar preamp

G&L L-2000

Now, the most important features I want above all are super-powerful lows and extremely high output. I'm sure I could achieve this through some uprgrading of an existing bass, but I would like to have your opinions on one of the stock basses above. I'll be playing fingerstyle mostly, but maybe a little slapping too. Thanks!
  2. The G&L2000 has the hottest output of the abovementioned basses, but are you sure a real hot output is what you need? Most amps will need the input gain reduced to compensate for the signal, so you end up with much the same levels. Tone and feel are far more important issues.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Skip the 62 reissue or the Hot Rod, they will not offer nearly as much low end as the others.

The Stingray, Am Dlx and G&L all have mondo humbuckers and active EQ that will give you more lows than you can probably actually use (I have the 5 string G&L L-2500 and can't dime the bass knob without making my speakers fart out).

The VJ comes in next, the J pickups will not give you as fat a bottom but the preamp can be used to dial in more meat.
    With the active systems you won't have any trouble with getting plenty of output.