Ultra-Portable Mic Stand & Attachments - Compact On Stage Setup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nixdad, Jul 16, 2016.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Everyone -
    With the goal to be as portable and have a rig which is as easy to set up as possible, I recently replaced 2 components of my current setup, so thought I'd share.

I play bass in an 8 man acoustic Beatles band called The Fab 8. Needless to say setting up can be a challenge with this many band members, as we all know the average space available. We have 3-4 acoustic guitars going at once (1 guitarist alternates on flute,) a keyboard player, a percussionist and 2 bassists (we alternate on percussion when not playing bass.) I am the only one of the 8 who does not sing. We all sit when we perform, which creates a relaxed, intimate atmosphere (and is not bad either for a bunch of old guys.)

Here is a photo of my new, compact, lightweight setup before adding the other components:
    be191f0d-fbc9-4648-937a-3876ec3b4ace_zpsqu1arppk.gif

This new rig consists of an AirTurn goSTAND (just added,) a Rhythm Tech MGT tray, an OnStage MSA-9508 side mount boom (just added) and a clamp to hold my Samsung tablet. This will be topped with my Mackie SRM150 powered monitor.

Here is the new rig "fully dressed":
    b315a52a-d8d6-449b-b04e-138653ed7ad5_zpsdllqsdvi.gif

Up until recently, I was packing:
    - a music stand (just to display the set list) - this has been ELIMINATED by the Samsung tablet.
    - a full sized tripod - REPLACED by the AirTurn goSTAND which breaks down to 18" long and weighs only 3 pounds.
    - a standard sized boom for my percussion mic - REPLACED by the OnStage side mount boom. On the last gig my full sized boom was attached to the boom extender which comes with the Mackie (and screws into the top of the monitor,) but this turned out to be less than ideal; it was tough to get the correct downward angle I needed, and the Mackie attachment can strip easily.

Here is the tripod broken down:
    d5ba4a16-be95-47cb-b850-46f65657ed6e_zpsgnsrt1zj.gif

The stock photo of the tripod:
    th-3_zpsdxg9s64n.gif

Here's the stock photo of the 7" side mount boom:
    th-4_zpsox6vuihm.gif

The joy of this is that all of these components now fit in my standard 22' x 15" suitcase:
    3d6fd7b9-2383-4a09-9bb8-5befd874870d_zpsqoayafni.gif

To be continued:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Invictus, BassCliff and S-Bigbottom like this.
  2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    To clarify, the Mackie is used to send me a mix of the vocals and other instruments, and NOT for my bass.

I use an Acoustic AB50 for my bass amp (used with a D.I.,) and also run a small pedalboard which has my tuner, fuzz pedal and and ABY box in case we need to run both bassists through the same amp.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    ashbory and BassCliff like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. nixdad,

That's a convenient and compact setup. I need a new gig bag. For years I've used a baseball bag because I can also stick my mic stand in it. I don't like carrying a mic stand separately from everything else. Something like this...

[​IMG]

I store the shaft of my mic stand where the bats go with the base in the main compartment. But with all the guitar stands, plug strip, extension cables, speaker and instrument cords, DI box, mic clips, and other accessories, it can get to be a jumbled mess in there. I've got to do some reorganization too. ;)

It that "goSTAND" tall enough to use as a mic stand?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad likes this.
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Cliff -
    We actually have a larger baseball bag as well that we used for years to carry 2 PA speaker stands and 5 mic stands and cables for Nick's early bands. The length of the sports bag sure came in handy. Luckily he (nor I) have had to carry a PA system, so it will stay in the closet until further notice. ;)

Yes! It is a full sized mic stand. Because of the "built in" tilt-up angle of the Mackie, I needed a portable stand which could be made shorter than a standard stand. This is perfect. The fact that it breaks down to only 18" to pack away is killer. They run for about $49 at GC or on Amazon. I think I had a 15% GC coupon as well, so it was a bit less.

Chris

BassCliff likes this.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    It goes up to 58", so it's pretty much standard mic stand height (most go to 60" IIRC). AirTurn also sells an ultra-compact boom if you're tall ;)

@nixdad , nice setup. Very similar to mine- I've had the GoStand in my Amazon cart for a couple weeks.. My one suggestion would be to switch out your current tray for a Gator mic stand tray. Probably lighter, but more importantly, it has a cup holder for your beer :D
    Gator Frameworks GFW-MICACCTRAY - Microphone Stand Accessory Tray

S-Bigbottom, BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bryan -
    Thanks for the kudos, and I'm glad you're enjoying yours as well. Cliff is tall, so the boom would certainly benefit him as well. Time will tell, but I'm certainly impressed with the quality so far. I added the Rhythm Tech tray only last year, so it's too early to think about replacing it. Although it doesn't have the beer holder (which would be a nice touch!,) it has plenty of surface space, and has a fold up hanger on the bottom which is necessary for hanging my tambourine and cowbell.

Chris

BassCliff likes this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh Chris....I'm so sorry...

Under no circumstances do the words "cowbell" and "necessary" belong in the same sentence :D

My drummer would probably kill me for saying that.

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bryan -
    If it's any consolation, I only play the cowbell on "You Can't Do That"...it's kinda necessary for that tune. ;)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "Hard Day's Night" and "Drive My Car" use one a lot as well IIRC. I say you guys should eliminate it altogether, and then you could justifiably change your band name to "The Beatles But Better."

My drummer always tries to fit cowbell in musically when he plays, but at least once per practice he'll throw it in a completely awkward place in a fill just to make me laugh/want to kill him.

Back on topic, do you also use a Bluetooth page turner? I've got one of the old AirTurn boxes that you have to attach your own footswitches to, but was thinking about replacing it with either the AirTurn PED or an iRig page turner.

10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well aware! We have cowbell on those tunes as well, just not played by me. BTW, we're already known as "The Beatles But Better"...HA!

Too funny! It sounds like you guys have a great relationship. Cowbell is one way to take the piss out of someone.

I don't. I only use the tablet for the setlist, as I have all my parts memorized and I don't sing. I have SetList Helper loaded on my tablet, although I have to admit it's not very intuitive with finding new setlists as they are added. I have been using Dropbox lately to find new setlists, but the app I have to keep the screen from going dark works on SetList Helper, but not on Dropbox (even though it's set to do so.) I still need to get this piece sussed out so I don't have to repeatedly turn my tablet back on throughout the night.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I use ForScore and it bypasses my iPad's auto lock setting so it doesn't go to sleep. You can also just set the autolock to "never" if you're using an iOS device so it just never goes to sleep.

nixdad likes this.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    How beefy is the GoStand? Is it made of metal? Would it survive being transported in a bag with other stuff?

13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Bryan - I'll try that.

14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey elgecko -
    Definitely made of metal, and seems beefy enough to me...just a lot more adjustable and a lot more portable.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

nixdad likes this.
  16. I checked out the Claremont vid at Shelton Park. Great stuff. You guys really nail it!

nixdad likes this.
  17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Bassquest! Your kind comments are very much appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  18. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't consider it beefy at all. It could handle transport, but the top extension is pretty thin. As far as overall thickness is concerned, it's on par with the cheap-o stands. It's nowhere as thick as my Hercules or a quality K&M.

I have a Go Stand, and when it's fully extended, it's a little wobbly. The base is fine, but the pole has some sway when you fully extend it with a boom stand. It's a nice mic stand for when you're sitting down, and it has much less wiggle in that configuration. I used one for a gig with only an iPad holder and mic on it, and it had way too much wiggle for me. It got knocked over in the wind, and that was a deal-breaker for me. It makes for a great spare or utility stand, since it folds up pretty small. Nice for micing up instruments, amps, and drums, but iffy for a tall vocalist with a stand attachment. I'm not that tall (5' 8"), and it won't reach me without a boom attachment.

nixdad likes this.
  19. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice review, jive1!

Since I'm sitting down, this suits my needs perfectly.

Just curious for those considering the AirTurn: do you think the iPad was the reason yours caught the wind? Would the results been different if you only had a mic?

BTW, I think I may have learned about this stand in one of your reviews...thanks!

Chris

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wonder if there is a way to add some small weights to it to give it more stability. With our round-based mic stands, we always have a 5 pound weight plate sitting on top of the base so they never go anywhere. The appeal of the GoStand to me it isn't the light weight but the very compact folding length to the point where it would fit in a backpack.