Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultra Sanding Block

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Sep 2, 2005.

1. I cobbled this together last night from some scrap and it works pretty good. At least I've finally got a handle that doesn't cramp my hands and allows me to share the work between the right and left equally. My right shoulder (and I swear my elbow!) has some arthritis and I can get pretty sore after a night of back and forth.
    It's 9" wide and 18" long with a 9" radius.

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Allan,

You must have some REALLY good masking tape to use with that radius block on a neck through bass.....

:)

Lee

3. Umm, don't you radius your fretboards for a neckthru before gluing them on?

4. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    There is also fixing existing basses... Just keeping you on your toes.

Lee

5. If you are getting at the "rails" that are extruded along the sides, those are easily removed but I'm keeping them on because I haven't finished playing with the design yet. :help: I'll need them intact to attempt to make this thing somewhat adjustable - gotta have something to grab. But I'm much more interested in radiusing new stuff than I am about re-radiusing the occasional repair at that precise radius. It's sort of an odd radius but that's part of suffering the generosity of the scrap gods. ;)

6. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Allan,

I thought 9" was a little "round". Really, nice tool. I was just busting your chops anyway. That was the first thing that popped into my head though "gee, how would that work on my fretless spector that needs help???"

Lee

7. My favorite radius is 7¼ like the pre CBS Fender's but 12 is as high as I like for my personal taste.

This extrusion could be cut down to any width but it's a full 1/8" thick and not a joy to handcut. Besides, bigger's better most always right?

But a cool way to use this stuff if you have a thickness sander is to make a platform for your fretboard blank whose thickness, when added to the radius of the extrusion, equals your final board radius. Then use this under the sander by rocking the blank on it's platform across the extrusion under the drum while you push it through. Instant radius!

I might have to diagram that one out huh? :meh:

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    That rocker idea is pretty cute, but since the drum is rather small, you'll have some finalizing to do...

Re. the block you made: wouldn't it be easier to add adjustment if the flanges were up, instead of down? I mean, topwards, the hands are in the way, which can be moved. Downwards, the neck, fingerboard or the board support will be in the way, which is trickier to move about...

Just a thought.

9. Sure would - If I could get the extruder to change 20 years of prior production for my altered use I'd give it a shot! But the width as it is now fits all of my other jig fixtures well. That neck shaping rig I use is freestanding now and I elevate the platform holding the fretboard or neck, depending.

Yeah, the contact area of 2 round surfaces coming in contact with each other is about as small as you can get. It would either mean a whole bunch of back and forth under the drum or a bunch of clean up like you say.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Aah, the curvature is extruded! Does limit the options... (where's the thinker smiley?)