Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultra small practice amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Usul, Nov 9, 2000.

1. I have seen the crazy small ass amps that are powered by a 9v battery for sale here and there.Can anyone recommend one or the other?This would be great for me,since I could squeeze in some practicing on my lunch break.What I really need,though,is an amp that will allow me to play a cd too...is there such a beast? I have heard mention of the Bass in a Box and the Band in a Box.Thanks for your input!

Usul
    a.k.a. Bill Hosford

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I use a Yamaha Tone Generator (MU10) which has inputs for an instrument and CD player, It is very small and light, but gets a great sound on good headphones. I just plug my CDWalkman into one channel and bass into the other and can practice away in a hotel room or wherever. It is about the size of a small paperback book, but lighter!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The little amps that have SPEAKERS won't work for bass, all you will get is ugly distortion, the speakers can't handle the low notes. Headphone amps are another story, most have inputs for CD or cassette players.

Band in a Box is a software program that lets you use your computer to play accompaniments for you to practice with.

Bass in a Box I have never heard of.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes I agree with Brian and you need pretty high quality headphones to get a decent bass sound. After reading Brian's explanation I now know what you mean - I have seen these in shops, but I just assumed they were like models for guitarists who like to have miniature guitars and things on their mantelpieces!! Tiny Gibsons stacks ! Of course this is going to sound really awful with bass.

5. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hey Bruce what does the Yamaha Tone Generator go for?

Currently, I use an Ibanez Rock-N-Play for bass. I primarily use it for practicing late at night when the kiddies are sleeping. I've been fairly happy with it, but I would prefer to use CD's as opposed to cassettes since I no longer have a cassette collection. I always have to have my guitar player make me copies on cassettes for any new songs to our setlist. But other than that it suits my needs.

I'll agree, any amp with a speaker that small and uses a battery is not going to cut it.

6. Yes,the wee lil amps with the speaker built in.I saw some in the last edition of Musician`s Freind catalog.They specifically said "bass amp" ...they may sound cruddy but they do make em for us low end guys! I think this one was by Danelectro.

Ciao!

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Be careful, Dano does make a small bass amp, the Nifty Seventy, but it's not one of those tiny battery operated ones.

The Dano Honeytone is a battery operated amp but it won't work well for bass.

8. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY

It's almost impossible to get the little 1" tweeters in these things to produce any noise in the bass's range. Its just a matter of physics. Definately go for the headphone amp and a good set of headphones.

In addition to those mentioned, Korg and Fodera also make headphone amps. The Korg is also a metronome, a tuner and an effects box. Headphones to look for are Koss, Grado and Steinheauser (I've butchered the last one - but I'm in the ballpark). Both amps are in the $200 range and good headphones are at least $50.

9. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    My man you're looking for a Korg Pandora. These things only used to come for guitar but now they've made one espically geared to bass. Not only can you play along to a cd but you get a wack of effects as well. They're somewhat pricey though.